Friday, January 13, 2012

It is done.

I paid of credit card 6 of 6 today. Today, I am completely credit card debt free. My credit card balances are ZERO DOLLARS! I can't explain this feeling. It's happiness and joy and accomplishment. It's the fulfillment of what years ago just seemed like a dream.

I've never shared HOW much credit card debt I had before because it's embarrassing, but it doesn't have a hold over me anymore, so I'm going to share it.

When I started this journey to really pay off my credit cards in May of 2008, I had 6 credit cards and more than $16,000 in credit card debt. When you factor in the fact that I JUST stopped using those bad boys in 2011, I'm pretty sure over the last 3 years and 8 months, I've paid more than $25,000 in credit card debt. Stop. Think about it.

I digress.

When I started this journey I barely made enough money to pay my rent AND eat three meals a day. The task was overwhelming to say the least. It seemed impossible, but with God's help, an open mind, trial and error, a healthy dose of discipline and regular pay increases, here I stand credit card debt free and I'm beyond ecstatic about it.

I just want to encourage anyone who's in credit card debt now: You CAN stop using (and sometimes abusing) your credit cards. You CAN pay your credit cards down. You CAN live off of cash only. You CAN have a fabulous credit score (and a fabulous life at the same time). You CAN be free of the guilt and shame that comes with credit card debt. You can do it!!! Just by reading this blog, you've believed in me all these months... well, years. And this time around, I believe in you.

Happy Friday!!! No, I'm not going out tonight and and no, you cannot borrow a dollar!

6 comments:

Luvvie said...

CONGRATSSS!!!!! That is sooooo dope! I've been reading along the journey and I can only imagine how much lighter you feel with that out of your life. WOO HOO!!! I'm tryna get there by January 2013. Pray for a G!

kay* said...

Girl I am so SO proud of you! Since moving to India I've been a bad commenter but I have been reading and rooting for you and eeeeeeeeeeeeek - I'm so so excited and happy for you. Being debt free is such a great feeling!!

Miss Ti said...

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congrats! I had about $3,000 of CC debt to pay off last year and I finally did with my tax refund. It was a HUGE burden lifted. Now I'm hovering around $900 which I can pay off it I wanted but I'd be dipping into my emergency fund and in these times, that's a no go. So once again I'm waiting for my tax refund. I can't WAIT to be clear. I'm making more money than I did last year and I'm really gonna start being more responsible. My emergency fund is pretty decent now. When I get my next raise...watch out! So happy to be where I am. Being broke ain't fun!

T said...

Thanks ladies for all of the congrats! I really appreciate you reading and holding me down.

Luvvie, I'll be praying for you! You can do it!

chichi said...

2 days late but I wanted to say congratulations! I know how happy I felt when I paid off my credit card debt.