Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Event Alert: Support a Supporter

There's a lady who's always on the north side (Lincoln Park/Lakeview) asking for money for HIV/AIDS. She has a little can and pins that she gives out if you support. I think her name is Patti. She's short, round (#NoDiss) and has firy kool-aid red hair. If you live in my neighborhood and run weekend errands, you absolutely CANNOT miss her.

What I did not know is that she has singlehandedly raised more than $50,000 for Vital Bridges (the organization I blogged about yesterday). I also found out this weekend that she has cancer and needs help paying for her medical bills.

So the good folks at Vital Bridges put together a fundraiser in her honor.

Cocktail
6-8 p.m.
3359 N. Halsted

I don't know her life, but I know that medical bills are expensive with or without insurance. I also know that it takes a special kind of person to stand on the street and ask for money for someone else. Her selflessness and trustworthiness has shown because she could have taken some of that money to pay her own medical bills - but she didn't.

I'll have my face in the place, if only for a moment. Let me know if you want to roll.

No comments: