Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Perfectionism and Such

Perfectionism is the worst. It's not a good answer to the interview question what is your weakness. It's a mental (i.e. medical) disorder. If someone says what is your weakness and you say I'm a perfectionist, you may as well say: I'm an alcoholic or I'm schizophrenic. Not judging those diseases, I'm saying who shares their diseases in a job interview.

Today, I determined that my brain cannot function professional disorganization. This is why I'm such a great team leader and problem solver. I pull together globs of information floating in the atmosphere and figure out how to break them down into a straight line, so that I can understand it better. Or in some cases, so that others can understand it better.

I want straight lines from Point "A" to Point "B". However... there are not always straight lines.

The medical definition of perfectionism: The setting of unrealistically demanding goals accompanied by a disposition to regard failure to achieve them as unacceptable and a sign of personal worthlessness.

Oh, the funny attached to that definition. I could go on and on, but you all don't need to be in my head like that. On the one hand I love that my hunger for excellence has propelled me forward, on the other, I hate the way it makes me feel about others who aren't doing things the way I think is right and good.

This post could have also been entitled: I have problems, pray for me.

1 comment:

One3snapshot! said...

Perfectionism is okay as long as you are considerate of others. Just try not to alienate people and remember your way is not always right. Sometimes people are not as articulate as you are and may not be able to debate as well as you and subsequently key inputs or answers can get lost.