Monday, June 13, 2011

Volunteering Guilt

I'm starting to feel guilty for not volunteering at least once a month. As trips and personal commitments pile up, I'm finding less time to actually be of service on my weekends. I'm not about to use my paid time off to volunteer either.

I think I've only done one volunteer project with Chicago Cares this year. I just signed up for another one at the end of the month and can hopefully do two more this year. That will make my volunteering quarterly vs. monthly.

I guess I can live with that.

How often do you volunteer? If you haven't found the time, how do you deal with the guilt?

2 comments:

South Loop Social Light said...

I haven't volunteered in a while, yet I don't feel guilty about it. If you're dealing with guilt I'd suggest you finding other ways you can give back and help that work with your schedule. In-between the big volunteer events you have try giving a bag lunch to a homeless person, or helping a stranger out... there are tons of ways to give back and be kind without necessarily volunteering in the traditional sense.

b.goody said...

I volunteer once a week. It's easier if you have a set schedule with a specific org... But don't feel guilty. Life happens, and your heart is in the right place.