Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Studio Decorating: Part 2

Despite yesterday's disclaimer about me not being a phenomenal decorator, most people like what I've done with the space, so here are Tea's tips for decorating a studio.


  1. Steal ideas from hotel rooms: They do a lot with a little bit of space and I'm really inspired every time I go into a new hotel.

  2. Conceal clutter: I have lots of wicker and canvas baskets to make up for the fact that I don't have a ton of storage or cabinet space.

  3. Be creative with space: I have my bookshelf in my kitchen with a tiny Ikea table. It really is a phenomenal reading nook. If I didn't think of that the bookshelf would be concealing a window and that's #NoBueno.

  4. Throw crap away: There's no space for junk in a studio. It will make you angry. So I find myself hitting the salvation army and consignment stores often.

  5. Make your closet functional: I only have one closet here. It's a walk-in closet, but it's just the one. My stepfather came in and put a second rack in it and some overhead shelving. That really helped a lot.

  6. Make it your own: I like comfort. Given my busy lifestyle, I really need my home to be a place where I can get away from it all, if I choose. This is why I have big comfy furniture and a dark wood theme throughout. I still need my space to reflect me no matter how big or small it is.

  7. Don't be overwhelmed: The first week I was here I had stuff on top of stuff and literally cried because I thought I'd made a bad decision to move because my furniture wasn't fitting right. After a few days of taking the space in and rearranging things, I am truly happy with the flow of it. I can't have more than one person in here at a time or it'll spontaneously combust, but I do love my little space.

Do you have any additional tips for decorating a studio? (or decorating in general). I'd love to hear your thoughts.


1 comment:

South Loop Social Light said...

In terms of making closet's functional, I've actually seen some great examples of people using their closet as a desk, etc... it's amazing the things you can do if you're creative.

Also, Ikea has a great bookcase that allows a lot of light to come through while still providing ample storage. Great idea.