Monday, May 9, 2011

Power in Faith

Yesterday my Pastor preached about the four things you have to do to reach a goal. #2 was "agree to it" and #3 was "believe it" and his scriptural references really touched me, so I wanted to share and expound.

(Agree to it) Matthew 18:19-20: Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it was be done for them of my father which is in heaven. (20) For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.


(Believe it) Mark 2:4-5: And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay. (5) When Jesus saw THEIR faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.


Ok, so two very important points. The first is when I have a goal and I share my goal with my friends, they have to agree to that goal. If I say I'm going to lose 10 lbs, according to scripture, I need a friend, just one friend to say, yes you will. If I say I'm going to get my credit cards to zero balances, someone has to agree to that with me in the name of Jesus. If I say this time next year, I will be a homeowner, I need someone to agree to my goal on earth, so God can make it happen in heaven (I'm not making this up, this is according to the scripture above).


The second point is that not after we agree, we can't just give lip service, but we have to believe. In Mark a man was paralyzed and his friends were trying to get him to Jesus, but the house was too full to go in the front door. But not only did they agree to take him, they believed that they could get him into the house DESPITE it not looking too good from the outside.


So this man's friends carried his crippled behind on the roof. TORE THE ROOF OFF and lowered him down to see Jesus. They didn't leave him, they didn't drop him off, they didn't cry and wail when it looked impossible, they climbed on top of somebody else's house and tore it up, to get their friend to Jesus.


THEN (this is the part that has me in tears), Jesus didn't just see the faith of the paralyzed man, he said he saw THEIR faith. That means if I have a goal and someone is praying for me to reach that goal, when my faith is down, when my faith is paralyzed, God can see (and will recognize) the faith of my friends and I will still be blessed.


This means that if I have a goal for myself, but have surrounded myself with people who DON'T believe in me, then I could be harming my goals just by being around negative people. I need to keep a faithful, positive team around me at all times (So far, so good. I love y'all!).


This also means that when my friends tell me they want to do remarkable things, my very support of them, my agreeing with them and believing God to bless them, can help them achieve their goals.


Excuse me while I go shout in victory in advance for what God has already done (for what we have agreed to on earth and believed Him to do in heaven).


If you have a goal you're working towards, put it in the comments and I'll stand in agreement with you before God and believe in His Word that it shall be done.

4 comments:

South Loop Social Light said...

Very inspiring and encouraging post. I've always believed in surrounding yourself with positive, supportive friends that are able to believe in your dreams.

Currently I'm working toward finding a job and apt back in Chicago... in under 90 days... since my husband just found out last week he has to return to Afghanistan for a 2nd deployment. Military life definitely keeps you on your toes, but I know that God is constantly giving me the mental strength to make it through all of this.

Thanks for this post.

T said...

You will find a job and an apartment in under 90 days. I believe God to do that for you and I'm praising him in advance on your behalf.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband has to go back out. I imagine the time apart is rough. Hang in there!

nerdgirlms said...

I am working toward peace on my job. There's been a lot of turmoil and I am ready for things to settle down and be peaceful. Whether that means a new job within the department, or a new job elsewhere, I don't know. I am praying that the peace will come sans any unemployment.

Thank you for this post.

T said...

Nerd Girl, I stand in agreement with you and believe that God will give you peace on your job. I'll take it a step further and say that God will bless your faith and your job will become a source of joy for you, rather than a source of turmoil. I pray that this will happen without unemployment and I believe God will bless you in Jesus name!