Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wait... there's sugar in THAT?!?!

The promise of warm temperatures (and you know, birthdays and stuff) have my friends and I going [way too] hard. I'm really getting too old for this. By Sunday night on a party weekend I will have had every possible symptom of dehydration, most recently dry mouth. :-/

In better news, the partying has been worth it. Maybe I'll slow down when I have something better to do... Enough about my old ass partying too much, on to the topic at hand.


Someone told me that Rum has sugar in it. I'm learning that EVERYTHING has sugar in it. Even plain Cheerios has 2g of sugar in one serving. Why do they put sugar in plain Cheerios? They already taste like nothing. I digress.

I figured having straight liquor or using sugar-free mixers would keep me in the clear, but that's not really true. Here's a list of liquor and the amount of sugar per serving. From Fat Free Kitchen:


Red Wine 100 ml 0.62g of sugar

White wine 100 ml 0.22g of sugar

Beer 100 ml 0g of sugar

Gin, Vodka, Whiskey distilled 80, 86, 90 proof 100ml 0g of sugar

From Tastings.com: Rum and its fraternal twin cane spirit are made by distilling fermented sugar and water.


I also saw on wikipedia that Champagne has sugar in it:

Brut Natural or Brut Zéro (less than 3 grams of sugar per liter)

Extra Brut (less than 6 grams of sugar per liter)

Brut (less than 12 grams of sugar per liter)

Wait, so Rum is basically just sugar water? So I think I will be drinking vodka martinis with unsweetened vermouth or nothing at all. Who knew it'd be this difficult to cut sugar out. What else has sugar in it that I may not have realized?

1 comment:

antithesis said...

so what ur saying is im drinking myself into diabetes b/c mojitos are my best friend. they ADD sugar to that shit...fml