Friday, April 8, 2011

Ski Gear

So for any ski novices out there I want to provide a list of the top 10 things you'll need to have a successful ski trip.

10. Ski socks - Apparently regular socks get wet and soggy and that's the worst feeling in the world.

9. Cotton-free long johns - they had some extra special lined ones at Burton (that cost several body parts), but I got the cheapest ones available and I was more than toasty

8. Outerwear - Ski Jacket, Snow Pants, Goggles

7. Rentables - Skis, ski boots and helmet (check places OFF the mountain you're visiting for lower prices)

6. Lessons - If you're going for the first time definitely get a lesson. It's not nearly as easy as it looks. If you're

5. Sunblock and lip balm with SPF - The sun blazes on top of a mountain, so fight skin cancer AND ashy lips.

4. Tire chains or all-wheel drive - If you're driving up to a mountain make sure your car is ready for snowy conditions.

3. Ski aps - Some mountains close or roads close, so if you have a ski ap, you can check before you get there and get your feelings hurt.

2. Lots of energy - All of that gear is HEAVY.

1. Awesome friends - Not only did I have supportive friends who provided free lodging (and yummy breakfasts) while I was visiting Lake Tahoe, but friends from Chicago let me borrow their outerwear. (I think they knew I wouldn't be taking up skiing as an every weekend pasttime.) Also, when I decided that I didn't want to go a second day Liz didn't push me. I'll ski again, but I was pooped after my first time.

1 comment:

South Loop Social Light said...

It's even better if you have a friend that skis and you can fit their clothes lol. I save money by borrowing gear... and I totally agree with you about renting skis OFF the slopes. You save a lot of money.