Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let Us Pray

I remember a time when I'd go to church and the Pastor would say something about a prayer life and I would feel guilty because I either didn't have one at all or I felt like it was pretty weak.

I'm happy to say that now when I hear that quip from my Pastor, I feel good having a testimony of how helpful prayer is. I wanted to share some tips with people who may be struggling with how to pray or when to pray.

This is especially top of mind for me during the Lenten season. This is my second year doing Lent and the Bible calls for us to fast AND pray. Of course, you can just fast if you want to, but the prayer is the most important piece to me (and the healthier lifestyle for 40 days or so is a lovely added bonus). I'm happy to say I've prayed most days of Lent so far and I hope I'll continue throughout the year.

So here are some my tips for praying:

  • Set aside a time to do it. Some people pray in the morning. While I give a short thanks in the morning, I do my prayers in the evening and that works for me.
  • If you're like me, the evening sometimes equals right before bed and that equals falling asleep while you're praying. I suggest starting a prayer journal. I've been doing this since high school. I find it difficult to fall asleep while I'm writing.
  • If you feel like you're going, going, going and can't find time to pray, praying while doing another quiet activity that you were already going to do. I sometimes take a walk by the lake to pray or pray at the gym (weird, I know, but when I have my headphones on that's quiet time.) Most recently I prayed while I was getting a massage.
  • Remind yourself how great your last prayer time was/is. Every time I pray my next day is better. Every.single.time. So when I'm tired and don't want to pray, I have to remind myself that the next day could suck if I don't buckle down and pray.
  • Whisper prayers throughout the day. You don't always have to do a 2-hour deacon church prayer. Sometimes just acknowledging God's presence throughout the work day or a nature walk or even when you're feeling overwhelmed is enough to center you until you have time to pray a little longer.
Well those are my tips on praying. Do you all have any to share?

4 comments:

Miss Tiara said...

Thanks for the post. They way I learned it, if you're not praying, you're not truly fasting. You're just dieting or starving yourself. It's the prayer that brings in that spiritual element, brings you closer to God, and makes it a true fast.

antithesis said...

im a prayer procrastinator. if someone on twitter or fb says pray for x,y,z i do some half-butt prayer right then and there where whatever it is they may be dealing with even if i dont know specifics. when it comes to me, im forever saying "i need to pray" but dont do it. people tell me they will pray for me but idk if they do it and if so, other people clearly pray for me more than i pray for myself.

nerdgirlms said...

I have a tendency to whisper little prayers throughout the day.

My longest prayer - which is not long by any stretch of the imagination - takes place during my morning shower. TMI?

nerdgirlms said...

I have a tendency to whisper little prayers throughout the day.

My longest prayer - which is not long by any stretch of the imagination - takes place during my morning shower. TMI?