Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ma'am... Sirs, Promptly Take a Seat

Unnecessary affirmations and/or disclaimers have made me so mad lately.

Example 1: Someone says "I don't really do Valentine's Day, but here's a whole blog post on it" OR "I don't really celebrate V-day, but happy hearts day to all the ladies out there"

I'm not sure why this sends me into an angry rage, but it does. If you don't care about something, you don't talk about it. Let me give you an example. I don't celebrate Halloween. I don't go into diatribes on social media channels about WHY I don't celebrate Halloween. I don't dress up and say "oh, it's not celebrating." I don't take my nieces trick or treating and say "Oh, it's just for the kids." I don't volunteer to go to the church parties with kids dressed like angels or Bible characters as a means to "counter" Halloween. I don't celebrate it and I don't mention it and I don't try to get people to be like me. It actually doesn't matter to me and the way you know it doesn't matter to me, is because I DON'T talk about it.

I find that black people can be so anti sometimes. It's like we've been so picked apart that we like to pick each other apart before anyone else get the chance. I really want us to stop doing that. Here's a new rule: if you don't support something, just STFU about it.

Example 2: Tweets like this "I don't know why people go to AllStar weekend. It's just a bunch of groupies." "If you didn't go to the game, it's just a trip to LA." OR the worst "I'd rather sit at home on the couch and hang out with my friends than go to AllStar weekend to meet celebrities."

You know where groupies go also: basketball games, the gym, church and the fucking grocery store and EVERYWHERE else the rest of the world goes. Not going to AllStar weekend so you miss the groupie train is not going to help you avoid them.

And on another note, it's like people are asserting that they're better than you because they don't like to party. Seriously? That's what we're on in 2011?

I also think people just hate on it because BLACK people go. PLENTY of people go to the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl without a ticket, surprisingly no snarky Twitter comments about that.

Of course, I'm taking Example 2 personally because I frequent AllStar weekend. I like to party and AllStar wknd is a built-in good time. I mean hotel lobbies JUKE during AllStar weekend. It's a cheap [enough] trip and I like it. It's not the Kentucky Derby and it's not Tennis AllStar weekend (does that even exist?), but I like it and I want people who don't like it to keep their negative, divisive commentary to theirselves.
I also want them to not amass self worth by putting others down.

I just feel like if you don't care about something you don't mention it. When these people say "having movie night with the fam" (and I don't really care that they're doing that) I don't Tweet "fuck movie night. I don't know why people would see a movie with family. they must not have any friends."

People act like we're not allowed to have different interests without being better than another person. You can be a homebody, that's fine. It doesn't make you BETTER than me.

Sorry for this long angry-ass post. Pray for me y'all. I really don't want people to be able to get under my skin this way. It's silly, but I was mad when I wrote this, so I'm blogging about it.

2 comments:

SunSoakerB said...

I agree. Some people need to know learn, if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything.

antithesis said...

i will admit that that can be annoying. i guess i just file it away with people who say "if you're not at [whatever place they happen to be] you're looking" or "[something no one should care about ever] >>>>[whatever you choose]"

i bet u view this the way i view people who bash gays on twitter.