Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent And Such

Thummyb mentioned being turned off from food fasts for God because her intentions are usually more on losing weight. Kidd chimed in too that she doesn't usually do corporate fasts because her motivation isn't usually right.

I did Lent for the first time last year (I grew up Baptist, we don't do all that. LOL!). Anywho, I didn't deny that I was trying to get it right and tight for the summer and Lent was my spring board.

The differentiation for me is that where I lack discipline in trying to look cute, I make up for it in obedience to God. And so if I make a commitment to God, vs. to myself, I'm going to stick to it.

This year I'm giving up sugar. Mainly because I have the biggest sweet tooth in life and this will be a true sacrifice to God. Secondly things that have sugar in them (cookies, cakes, brownies, ice cream, good cereal, pop, coffee - they way I drink it - and other delectable delights that I'll be saying no to day and night) generally make you fat.

I also was eating dessert every night about a month ago and I woke up sluggish, even with the proper 8 hours of sleep, so as a tertiary benefit I look forward to boosts of energy.

Anywho, the Bible calls on us to fast and pray and so even if my intentions aren't pure as a dove, I still feel compelled to do it and I feel no guilt whatsoever about the added benefit of losing weight.

What about you? Are you participating in Lent this year?

3 comments:

ThummyB said...

Ok - I had an 11th hour switch and went with coffee instead. I actually drink a lot more coffee than I eat sweets, so this will be a challenge :-)

Elizabeth said...

I'm giving up sugar too! If you visit, we'll have a sugar-free vacation.

QUE.PK.iDD said...

I grew up Baptist, and I don't remember if we observed Lent when I was a child, but I know we have for at least the past 8 yrs, and I use to make feeble attempts at fasting. But once the i studied and meditated on the purpose of fasting, that all changed (blooged about it here http://lasondrakidd.blogspot.com/2010/07/pray-fast-fast-pray.html)

The key to fasting is coupling it with prayer. Without prayer, that fast is just a diet. So if you are fasting AND praying, then losing weight is just the icing on the cake (that is if you like icing. lol).

But I AM currently fasting. Started a bit before Lent. No beef, pork, or chicken. It's not a Lenten fast but it sho nuff will be done by the time Easter rolls around. Gotta grub (note to self, gluttony is a sin).