Thursday, February 3, 2011

Was That Necessary

This is like my millionth post on laundry, which FURTHER lets you know how much I hate doing it. During my vacation week, I spent two days doing laundry. (Not two straight days, but laundry was done twice in one week). I abhor it: the act of going up and down the stairs and holding your breath, hoping the machines aren't occupied. I'm also absentminded, so more times than not I forget my quarters, or laundry detergent, or the actual clothes if it's a 3rd or 4th load. It's just the worst.

Then there are rude neighbors who think that their clothes have the right to stay in the washer or dryer for however long they desire. I used to be one of those people and I would have a hissy fit if someone touched my clothes. After having all my bras stolen in college and a strong dose of reality (um, if you don't want anyone touching your clothes, don't give them the opportunity, be downstairs, on time), I've decided that it's really not that serious.

I touch people's clothes, wet or dry. If they don't like it, tough. I've yet to have anyone confront me in the laundry room.

So the day in question, someone's clothes had been chilling for more than 30 minutes in the dryer. I know this for a fact because my clothes had time to wash before said rude person came to get their clothes. This person, while rude, did leave a bag for me to put their dry clothes into and when it was time to put my clothes in the dryer, I did just that.

So imagine my surprise when 45 minutes later, I come downstairs and one of the dryers that I'd left closed was wide open with my clothes wet in it. This passive aggressive son of a bitch opened my dryer because he or she was mad that I'd taken their clothes out of the dryer.

I KNOW that's what happened because I've considered doing that many times when I was mad about the same thing. Also because I'm absentminded I always check to make sure washer and dryer doors are closed and that I've pressed "on" or whatever...

With no one to get upset with and no clothes of theirs to destroy, I decided the following: I'm blessed beyond measure. I have a whole PAID week off of work to do my laundry over and over again. AND I have a whole bank full of money to waste $1.50 on laundry.

I decided there was no use in sulking all day, but I'll be damned if I wasn't Katie Kaboom mad for like 60 whole seconds in the laundry room.

Who's happy about my new anger management skills? *raises hand*

Now, to look at condos with in-unit laundry...

3 comments:

South Loop Social Light said...

This makes me happy that I have a washer/dryer in my place lol....

b.goody said...

That's ridiculous. My building has a new rule though that if someone's stuff is in there after 10 minutes, to call the front desk. After another 10 minutes, they'll come get their laundry and have it at the front desk. A middle man def makes these things easier.

But really- why can't they just monitor their laundry? Opening your dryer was a major FOUL.

Kismet said...

*raises hand* I affirm your anger management skills.

Almost got into a fight with a woman over taking her stuff out of the washer/dryer once. She settled for banger her way through her load while I was there. #HitIgnore

I empathized though because I definitely don't like people touching my clothes but I'm never on time.

They just raised the prices at my local laundry place too. Ugh. #YesWeCan find an apartment/house/condo with a laundry unit.