Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Speed Dating: The Finale

I had a break in between bachelors (remember there were more women than men)- The host came over to tell me that since there were so few guys there that all of the ladies get a free speed dating event. YIPPEE!!! and seven minutes later...

Bachelor #4: He was Mexican, from LA (but had never visited Mexico, go figure) and a Spanish teacher at Chicago Public Schools. I told him I went to Chicago Public Schools and he DEFINITELY gave me the judgment face when I said that. He wasn't very funny, but he did keep the conversation going. He wasn't attractive to me at all in the face, so as you can see this was going nowhere fast.

Bachelor #5: The fifth and final bachelor was Asian and probably the most "colorful" character I'd met. He had his coat on and seemed really out of sorts. I'll bet his friends put him up to speed dating as a joke. He was attractive and probably about 5'8, 5'9 with a solid build... hard to tell with that damn coat on though. I don't remember what we talked about.

All I know is that he had to pee like a racehorse and was fidgeting in the damn seat like a three year old. When the bell rang he said "I'm sorry, I really have to go to the bathroom" and I smilled and nodded and said "go, go!" To think he was about to do the fidgety act with like four more women. Just a mess.

So at the end of the dating charade you mark yes or no next to each bachelor and turn your card in to your host. They guys do the same. The host e-mails you the next day to tell you if there are any matches.

I marked yes for bachelor #1 and no for all the rest. He didn't mark yes back, so I had no matches. Sad, I know.

The experience was fun and I'm glad I did it and now I get to go to another one for free, so I'll have a full recap on that too. If you're pressed for a man/husband, I wouldn't do it. But if you want to open up your network and try new things and have different experiences (AND YOU ARE SINGLE, that's kind of a big deal), then give it a whirl. If nothing else you'll get three or four solid blog posts from it.

Have you ever done speed dating? Would you consider it?

1 comment:

QUE.PK.iDD said...

I've never considered participating in speed dating, but I have considered hosting one. Like you, I think that it would be something fun to do to open up and meet new people, but I wouldn't do it with the hopes of finding a beau, let alone a husband.

I was invited to do speed dating next month. It's being hosted my a motorcycle club and it's at a spot out in Harvey. Two too many red flags for me. I will be vending at the event though.