Monday, January 31, 2011

Media Fast

It is the 2nd day of my media fast and I am off work. It is 11:40 p.m. and I am officially bored. I have worked out, cooked three meals, written four blogs, caught up on all of the blogs on my blogroll, read blogs not on my blogroll, taken an 3-hour nap, watched the State of the Union Address, prayed, meditated, read two magazines and now I am currently listening to my neighbors have sex.

I know that obedience and sacrifice are rewarded and the Pastor has called for a media fast, so I'm doing it. I want nothing more than to turn on my TV and watch an episode of Friends, but here's to a net breaking year for me. (Perhaps, I'll chronicle some of Pastor Hannah's recent sermons).

Or maybe I will... paint my toes or stare at the ceiling or something.

How was your week last week? Did you do any fasts for church/personal reasons? I know a lot of people were doing the Daniel fast. How'd that go for y'all?

4 comments:

azatbailey said...

Sigh. This was my least successful fast. My heart wasn't in it. I didn't increase my prayer. I ate sweets twice. I don't know...I couldn't/wouldn't get it together this go round.

Miss Tiara said...

I do the fast every year. I usually stick to it. This year was a bit hard... not on the food side, but on the prayer and getting in the word side.

My biggest struggle is bread though. I never realize how much I love bread til I can't have any!!! One of the first things I always eat when I break the fast is a piece of bread slathered in butter. YUM!

ThummyB said...

I have 2 thoughts on this topic:

#1 - I plum missed the fast this year. Somehow I just didn't get the memo, and by the time that I realized that the church was fasting...they were already 2 weeks in.

#2 - I don't feel like my motives are ever really right. Deep in my heart, I know that I am more focused on losing weight than on sacraficing for God, so it has sort of turned me off to fasts as a whole. Maybe I will do a media fast next time. That might be the best way to eliminate the conflict of interest. Note: I sometimes feel the same way about Lent.

QUE.PK.iDD said...

I haven't read blogs all year so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Anywho: I typically don't fast "collectively" with groups, and when I do, I typically don't stick to them as well bc, as ThummyB said, My motives aren't right.

My most successful fast was a FB fast. My spirit was in a real bad place, and I said, "God, I want so badly for this "bad" to be lifted, I'll give up facebook until my spirit is right." 10 minutes later, I disabled my FB account, not knowing when I would return. After 2 months time, my spirit was so eased, I didn't even wanna get back on FB. I only got back on for networking purposes bc people had been trying to conduct business with me and couldn't find me on FB.

The purpose of fasting is to deny yourself and stretch your faith. If a media fast is a challenge for you, then that's a great start, but if you don't feel challenged to grow, then what good is it really?