Monday, December 6, 2010

What Does Beauty Mean To You

Someone asked me "How important is beauty to you?" I said something like "very" or "extremely" and left it at that.

It immediately occurred to me after the conversation, that I didn't speak about any of the sappy crap they teach you in school and at church and on Disney movies about how beauty comes from within.

I didn't think about people's hearts and spirits.

Nope, I was thinking about MAC make-up and long flowy hair and pointy toe pumps and frilly summer dresses. I thought about how my auntie calls me pretty girl and my uncle calls me glamour girl and I thought about how my mom flipped her lid when she found out I'd blown up to a size 6 in college.

I thought about how my grandma is SO into photos. And how the whole rest of the family will crowd around a digital camera to make sure just they look right, nevermind everyone else.

I thought about pretty body parts, calves and stomachs and pedicured toes (and y'all know I hate feet).

I thought about diamonds and Harleys and what the kids will look like. He has to be fine (and his parents should be fine too). Think about the kids.

Looking back, even though I gave an honest answer, I don't know that I gave the best answer and to that I say: Ooh wee. I have a lot of growing to do, but I'm working on it.

1 comment:

South Loop Social Light said...

The best answer IS your real and honest answer... anything else is just bullshit.