Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Hair is Finnicky

Is finnicky a word? Doesn't matter, you know what I mean. I don't think we've talked about hair in a while, but at the onset of fall my hair started to get really dry. What I hadn't realized is that I also stopped using my Burts Bees Raspberry & Brazil nut conditioner around that time because it's so hard to find in stores.

I tried larger 2-strand twists for a different, more manageable look. Then I tried other products that my friends suggeted and that I could actually find in stores. (I always forget to go to the beauty supply store when I'm in a black neighborhood. Sad.)

Here's some stuff I tried.
Motion's Leave-In Conditioner - Wack
Carol's Daugher Black Vanilla Leave-In - Extra wack (but it smells great)

Here's my no-fail routine as of late.
Deep condition with a homemade mix of eggs, melted honey and olive oil. Rinse. Comb through with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner. Rinse. Wash with Raspberry & Brazil Nut Shampoo. Rinse. Pre-condition with olive oil (to seal in moisture), do not rinse out. Condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo, do not rinse out. Two strand twist hair, add Fantasia IC Gel to each twist to hold it in place.

A friend told me that the only difference between conditioner and leave-in conditioner is the concentration. So when my hair gets dry I should just leave regular conditioner in it. This has worked well for me. I also straightened my hair this weekend so I could get my ends clipped and I think this will help with dry ends.

What's your hair care regimen? What products can your hair not live without?

2 comments:

antithesis said...

i hate the vanilla leave-in the carol's daughter makes. it's just perfume for hair and it's equally as drying as if u did use actual perfume. i did note that she makes a smoothie version of it and i was a fan of tui hair smoothie so i might be grabbing that.

i washed my hair last night with creme of nature (not the regular kind. whatever this new mess is) and i got the moisture my hair was missing. nvm the fact that i took it right back out with lotta body and this lazy roller set im doing.

South Loop Social Light said...

Aussie Moist Conditioner is still one of my favorite things ever. I also like Kinky Curly Knot Today and Organic Coconut Oil. All 3 are great products and under $20 for all 3.