Monday, November 8, 2010

Wedding Week: Gifts

Welcome to wedding week on the blog. Here I'll talk about wedding etiquette from the experts and of course give me opinion on all things wedding. This is a reader submitted topic from Antithesis.

Question: What's an appropriate amount to spend on a wedding gift?
Tea's Two Cents: First, if it's a "wishing well" wedding that means, the couple has all the stuff they need for their home and life together, they just want money as a gift. PLEASE don't bring a toaster when they specifically asked for money. That's rude.

I typically give $50 for a couple I don't know as well.
$75 for friends (and/or for people I don't know as well, but who have extravagant weddings).
If the couple (or one in the couples) is a really good friend, I give $100.

I also always thought you were supposed to give the cost of your plate at the wedding. I know that's antiquated thinking, but I'm just being honest. I've seen people give $25, $30 for a wedding. My bougie scoffs at that, but I mean, if you don't have it to give, you don't have it to give.

I follow the same $50, $75, $100 rule for actual gifts as I do for the wishing well wedding, but apply it to the price of the gift.

Also, I only give a gift if I get an invitation. If I'm a guest of the invited, I'm assuming that the invited has already given a gift. And I don't crash weddings, so I'm good there.

Let's see what the experts say:

Expert Answer: Forbes.com says the price of the gift should directly correlate to how close you are to the couple vs. how much the couple paid for the wedding. They also said most couples expect gifts to be no less than $50, actual gifts average about $70 each and couples WANT gifts to be about $129 each. Read the article here.

3 comments:

antithesis said...

still trying to remember my question. THIS is why im not responsible for things i say more than 24 hrs prior. i can only guess that i asked u something like if im a bridesmaid, do i still get a gift and how much should i spend? doesnt matter, it was my brother's wedding and i wasnt working so it wasnt an option. i also know to deny any requests to be a bridesmaid because it's embarassing standing up there trying not to cry and ruin pics.

T said...

@antithesis, here's what you asked for:

1. ho sh*t - I did ho bag post on this
2. Wedding season - I parlayed this into a whole week
3. Appropriate dress for preggers women - I don't know how I'm going to do this
4. How about appropriate dress for everyone and how to keep ur imperfections to yourself? - I did a post on slips and tights

TatooTuesday said...

I'm going to a wedding this weekend. I always felt like I should give $100 and be done with it because weddings aren't cheap. Plus I usually get a number or two at a wedding so I feel that $100 should cover the "finders fee."