Friday, November 19, 2010

Finally Into the New Testament

So read through the bible in a year is going well. We finally made it to the new Testament in October. In the old testament they were all about detail. Who begat whom and the length and size of every piece of wood and fabric that made up the church. I swear there were whole chapters that only covered 40 days and 40 nights.

Not the New Testament. In Matthew, Jesus was born and died in 28 chapters of one book. That's 33 years in one book. Talk about efficient. What really messes me up is that Mark is the SAME EXACT stories from Matthew, but told by a different person. Why would you put the same story in over and over again? What's the point? On the one hand you could say to have a more accurate look at history. On the other hand you could say someone who put the Bible together had an editing problem. #kanyeshrug

I think at some point in history, I knew that the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) were all the same story, but when you don't read the Bible regularly you forget these things. I also think churches preach out of Matthew & John more than out of Mark & Luke, so I forget about those.

I will say it is easier to read the subsequent accounts because I feel like I already know exactly what's going to happen?

Anyone else doing read through the bible in a year? Any insights to share?

3 comments:

QUE.PK.iDD said...

Not reading through the Bible like you, but I actually like the fact that the same story is told on 4 different accounts. Think about it. If some one told you they got a free iPod with the purchase of their Big Mac, you probably won't believe them, but if FOUR people told you that, you just might think there's some validity to the story.

Also, each of the writers saw things slightly different that the others. IDK maybe I'm too Wordy, but I like it.

Kudos on reading the Bible in a year and sticking to it. I have no desire to do such.

nerdgirlms said...

Not this year - did it last year - will probably do it again next year.

I've done it several ways, but the method I prefer is just reading 3 or 4 chapters every day.

My mama and I are messy - we like all the drama of the OT! We'd discuss the Bible like we were catching up on a soap opera. We are sufficiently ashamed...

QUE.PK.iDD said...

Sufficiently ashamed, nerdgirl? No need for shame. Be proud that you found a method for knowing God's Word that's entertaining.