Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The History of Greatness

Now b.goody asked me to write about Dunkin' Donuts and I felt like why stop there. I figured I'd discuss the history of the donut. But then I did some quick internet research and realized that the donut has a disputed history.

This is a blog, not a dissertation, so allow me to provide commentary on the three best places to get donuts in Chicago.

3. Dunkin Donuts - Find them everywhere. They're quick. *Kanye Interlude voice* VERYFAST. If you're from the south, don't be offended by how they bark "Can I help you." They are trying to get you in and out in the morning, in the afternoon, in the wee hours of the night. If you are fortunate, they will be connected to a Baskin Robbins and all of your sweet dreams can come true in one place.

2. Krispy Kreme - Find this southern delicacy on 44th and Pulaski, Union Station and at select Jewel store in the bakery section. Yes, unfortunately my fat-minded behind knows exactly how far away I am from a Krispy Kreme at all times. When we lived in the West suburbs my sister and her boyfriend would drive to 75th and Harlem to get a dozen of these gooey delicious treats. For non-Chicagoans, that's akin to taking a plane ride for sex. While it is, indeed, extreme it's usually worth the ride.

1. Dat Donut - Find this spelling challenged hot spot at 82nd and Cottage Grove - A donut from here will change your life. I actually don't think I've ever had one. I've just seen them AND heard about them. I'm going to work on dat. <------ see what I did there. LOL! In other news, the BIG DAT is the size of a small child and if you plan to eat it by yourself please put me on notice so I can reserve a Zipcar to drive you to the hospital.

2 comments:

antithesis said...

yes spelman was in the hood, but i braved that danger many times just to walk to the krispy kreme by campus. and why did i always go when i was dark outside? what the hell is wrong with me? now u know im no fan of walking but this was freshman and sophomore year when cars werent allowed/i just didnt have one. *memories*

RB said...

I am 24, 42, 18, and 22 miles from four Krispy Kremes in my area...instead of flowers, my beau at the time once got me my favorite KK donuts in bouquet form... I'm also in the process of looking for a place to "start my life" and I'm only considering places within driving distance of a Krispy Kreme... it doesn't get any fat-minded than that.