Monday, April 26, 2010

Where Do You Get It?

Ok, I'm trying to practice being gentle with myself. It's not natural for me. The concept is foreign and if I didn't know better I'd call it stupid.

I'm hard on other people, but I'm downright vicious with myself. Like if you heard how I talked to myself when I don't meet a goal or do something out of character in front of someone I don't know or even when I feel like I've misrepresented myself here or on Facebook or Twitter you'd definitely lay holy hands on me.

I'm tired of it though. And you would think that when you know better that you do better, but it's been this many years talking viciously to myself, so forgive me if it takes more than one blog post to change that.

So I wanted to pose it to you all. Where do you find you find a model for a compassionate voice? Is it your mom? Grandma? Mother Theresa? Are you mean as hell to yourself too? I'm just curious...

Trying to learn and grow as a person and all that jazz.

P.S. I'm in LA for a couple of days... work.

5 comments:

antithesis said...

i think everyone who walks this earth does some negative self-talk at some point in their lives. faulty thought patterns such as those lead to low self-esteem. it's good u recognize u have to stop being so hard on urself. easier said than done, I KNOW. balance it out and give urself credit for a job well done. for every thing u think u did poorly, match it with something uve done well. if u run out of praise, u run out of criticism and u have to at that point let the whole thing go.

South Loop Social Light said...

I'm my hardest critic but I'm also realistic. As much as I can blast myself for not accomplishing something, I can stroke my own ego when I'm on top of my stuff.

I have a lot of strong women in my family that offer support, but my best voice of reason and support is my husband.

sirhova said...

No one can really pump you up like yourself. But it comes from within and from what you project out. My motto: TRY NOT TO BECOME A MAN OF SUCCESS, BUT RATHER A MAN OF VALUE. And through this you will find great accomplishments and acknowledgements from others.

Chuckcity
twitter/_Chuckcity
www.chuckcity.vox.com

PorshaCoghlan梁子珠 said...

Nice Post~!!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

BennieS_0123Godina said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德 ..................................................