Thursday, April 22, 2010

To Move or Not to Move

Ok, so I've been at my spot for three years. I haven't had a chance to think about what I want to do long term given the amount of mental space short term projects are taking up in my head. But by June 1 I need to make a decision.

Pros
- I love my neighborhood
- It costs nothing to move
- I save a BOATLOAD of cash living in this studio. I seriously have friends who pay about $1K more per month on their rent or mortgage

Cons
- This studio is small. It's like a cracker jack box so subsequently
a) I can't entertain
b) I can't cook like I want to
c) I don't really like men who I'm not super close to coming up here, so I feel like it's putting a strain on my dating life
- It costs money to move that I haven't budgeted for
- I'm going to have to decorate the new spot, which means more unbudgted money

I guess I need to pick between a comfortable place or mass savings. I COULD potentially find a place that's slightly more comfortable for slightly more money (instead of having all or nothing).

Then I just have to decide if I want to make the time commitment it would take to look for something I want.

What should I do folks?

2 comments:

chichi said...

I'd say look at your budget and decide what your comfortable with increasing your rent to and start looking, you might be surprised at what you'd find.

At the end of the day you're not going to be out on the street so looking won't hurt.

South Loop Social Light said...

It feels like all of your reasons for moving center around pleasing other people. If you aren't comfortable in your own space that's one thing, but moving so you can entertain more, or have more guys over... well, unless they're putting in on that I don't think it's worth it. You've been focusing on finances this year so why not use the money you'd spend on a more expensive place to pay down your debt. Then when you're ready to move, you could potentially be in the place to buy something.. or even a lease/option to buy program.

It's nice to have friends over, but upgrading your space for them is a waste of funds. You could potentially look into having a decorator come into your space and see if you could redecorate and rework the space.