Monday, March 29, 2010

I Love My Job

I love my job today and here's why? I have the unique opportunity to share me with so many people. Now, don't confuse this with conceit people, it's a very humble thing that I'm saying. (I think)
  • Today someone told me: "I appreciate your guidance."
  • Yesterday someone said: "I'm sad you don't work on XYZ program, you would have been so much fun to work for"
  • About a month ago when someone quit they said: "I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to work with you."
  • And in the ultimate show of respect someone who I used to manage who no longer works here recommended me to be their manager at their new place of work. #WTDTA???
At my job, I have SO much responsibility and it doesn't matter that I've only been in the work force for a drop in the bucket (considering the fact that people in their 60s and 70s are still working). My job is a meritocracy. You bring talent, ideas, better processes (and most importantly cold hard cash in the form of clients) to the firm, you move up. Simple.

Moving up means you get to manage and T is the type of manager you want to have for four simple reasons.

1. I'm a coach, not a dictator. I treat people the way I want people to treat me. While my expectations are high, I don't expect people to be pyschic and I also don't expect people to know how to do stuff they haven't done before so I coach them through it.

2. I keep it capital R Real. What you see is what you get. If you don't cut the mustard, you'll know it. If you're phenomenal, you'll know it. Most importantly, I'll make suggestions for how you can improve BEFORE your review comes up, so you won't be blindsided. I'm also bluntly honest in reviews. Sugarcoating a piss poor performance isn't going to help either of us. (Plus they have processes in place to make sure my exact words don't get to the person being reviewed, but HR knows how I feel.)

3. I'm committed to making me better (at home, at work, with God, in relationships). When someone is more than just what they bring to the table at work, you can tell.

4. I work hard as hell. Nothing worst than a manager sweating you and you know he or she only does the bare minimum, never works late and/or is unqualifed for the position and unwilling to figure out what's what. People like working with me b/c they know I've been where they are and they see themselves making it to my level and beyond.

So all of that to say today [read: the day I wrote this], I love my job because the people who work with me, love me. That's simple enough, isn't it? (I also have today off I'm in LA! FTW!)

3 comments:

Kay* said...

there should be more managers like you!

South Loop Social Light said...

I really appreciate and value managers that work hard. There's nothing worse than someone setting an awful example and wondering why nobody respects them. Your mgmt sets the tone for the company and the people underneath them and it's nice to see you're doing such a great job! Keep up the good work.

antithesis said...

yay! good for you!!!!