My church is challenging us to read through the bible in the year and they have bookmarks with the schedule, so you read a few chapters a day. It's super simple and I haven't read through the bible since I was a shorty, so I'm really enjoying it.
Here are some crazy thing I either didn't know or just forgot.
- Lot's daughters were afraid there weren't enough men in the land, so they each got him drunk and slept with him, so they would be able to repopulate the Earth. His sons were his nephews. EW! It's no wonder Moses had a speaking disorder. Everybody was into incest in the early days.
- Jacob was a liar who stole his brother's blessing, but to this day people still say the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Poor Esau can't get no love!?!?!
- A subpoint to the Jacob story is that even though Jacob STOLE Esau's blessing and inheritance, God still blessed him. It teaches me a lot about God's hand being on your life. If you're blessed, you're just blessed and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't necessarily remember that sentiment from reading/studying the bible before, but that's what I'm getting today. (Not sure if it's the same if you're cursed, but I'll let y'all know as I keep reading).
- The first male ear piercing was in Exodus 21:6. It was to signify slavery ownership. That's DEFINITELY not what I learned in church when they tried to tell us it meant you were gay or something.
- Moses was a murderer (Exodus 2:12)
- I still don't understand why Moses didn't make it to the promised land. Maybe it was God's way of getting him back for being a murderer. The teachers in Sunday school used to argue about this right in front of us. One said it was because he hit the rock, but I just re-read that part and God TOLD him to hit the rock. The teacher said God told him to talk to the rock, not hit it. I guess it depends on what version you're reading. Womp.