Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Who You Callin' A Bitch?

Have you been to the bookstore lately? On the shelves a buzz word I've seen like crazy is "Bitch." It's sort of like putting SEX in big red lights to talk about something that has absolutely nothing to do with sex. I work in marketing, i KNOW it's an attention grabber, but that doesn't make it ok.

I saw:
- the Skinny Bitch Series (oh yes a series of at least 7 books with bitch in the title, probably with more to come)
- Why Men Love Bitches (highly recommended by some co-workers)
- Bitches on a budget (which the latest issue of Shape magazine suggested I buy)
- Cathy Griffin: She'll cut a bitch

Oh, the list goes on and on. Not to mention the new black Sex & The City-like reality series coming out called Bitch is the New Black. (Not a book, but worth noting)

When did it become ok to call yourself a bitch? Was it the same year that it became ok for blacks to call each other the n-word? Where was I? Who sent the memo? The FCC lets people say bitch on TV (starting in 1998 or so), so now it's ok to call me a bitch?

A friend came over my house and was admiring my bookcase and the first book she noticed had the word bitch in it. (Or maybe she noticed others, but she MENTIONED said bitch book). I had to explain to her that it was just a catchy marketing title, but I felt silly even having to do that and it sort of put it in perspective for me.

I haven't even read the book. Couldn't get past the first chapter because it lacked substance and I seriously pondered leaving it off the bookshelf for that exact reason. You are what you read. Now I'm dying to get it out of my library and I won't be buying anymore books with "Bitch" in the title.

Nope, if the book's content can't hold it's own in a review, but rather has to be marketed in this gimmicky fashion, then I'm not interested in the content.

People can say what they want about how times have changed and things were SO bad growing up in the 80s & 90s, but I distinctly remember Queen Latifah telling me (almost 20 years ago) not to let anyone call me a bitch, male, female, black or otherwise and I'll be damned if I spend my hard-earned money to be disrespected.

Authors, please don't let anyone cheapen your product by putting "bitch" in the title AND most importantly *Martin Payne voice* Respect ME! *patting hand on chest* RE-SPEEEEEEEEEECT!!!

1 comment:

antithesis said...

yea, im not a fan of the b word being used in reference to me. i dont have a problem callin others, usually men, that when they deserve it b/c i find it to be one of the most disrespectful words you could use. btw, i think i bought "why men marry bitches". that was a mistake. i hated it and didnt even finish it. it was all about playing games which im not into.