Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tea's Giving Back Challenge!!!

I don't know about where you live, but it's cold as all get out in Chicago. I'm very fortunate to live in a studio where my heat is included in my rent. At the end of a day, no matter how stressful or trying, I know that I'll come home to a toasty apartment.

Some aren't so fortunate.

As the temperatures drop, I am reminded of people who spend most of their days outside in the cold. Last year I said every time I go into Subway in the winter to get a sandwich for me, I would buy soup for a homeless person. The soup is like $1...

The problem is I forgot to do it a bunch of times. This year, I'm all about spreading the warmth. If I see someone on the street (and I remember), I buy them a coffee, tea or hot chocolate. I put up facebook & Twitter statuses encouraging peeps to do the same, but I don't know if they did or not. If they're anything like me, they probably forgot.

All of that to say: WELCOME TO TEA'S SPREAD THE WARMTH CHALLENGE!!!

Here's how it works: Throughout this winter season, when you see a homeless person in the cold, buy them a hot drink or soup. Come back and tell me in the comments once you've done it. In case you forget to post, I'll call for entries via e-mail on March 19th. Then on March 20th, I'll annouce the winner and award a $100 gift card. (March 20th is the first day of Spring, even though it'll be cold in the Chi until June. Womp.)

You can also count previous hot drinks or soup you've bought for the homeless this winter (so if you've already done this, leave it in the comments today).

Also, this is the Republic of Tea (pure dictatorship), so I don't know what kind of gift card I want to get yet. It might be an AmEx gift card. Might be to Amazon.com. Might be to Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, Intelligentsia or Argo Tea. Hell it might be to an airline on which I think you should travel. I don't know yet, but someone going to get PAID for doing good.

*Trey Songz voice* Is it you? Is it you? Is it you?

LOL!

2 comments:

Brian and Lauren said...

Just wanted to say that this inspired me yesterday - after picking up hubby from his downtown office, we dropped off some food & coffee to a few homeless who 'stay' under the overpass where I pick him up every day. It felt great, and I prob wouldn't have done it without reading this... :) So now I gotta keep it up!

antithesis said...

T, WHY is one of the only homeless person i encounter on the regular NOT REALLY HOMELESS?!!!!! nigga is a kappa. i knew he looked too clean and his shoes a little too fresh. my friend is a kappa and i guess he was wearing some nalia and "homeless man" revealed his true identity to him. sometimes i wanna kick him when i see him. i just wanted to vent that here.

oh and there is a REAL homeless man i used to see and he used to chill on these warm vents right outside this apt building NOT BOTHERING ANYONE and those assholes put up an iron fence around the vents. JUST around those vents so he cant lie there. they could have given HIM that money if they didnt want him there anymore. imma look for him next week and come back and comment.