Monday, July 20, 2009

The Classics

***Side note, how is it 7/20 already. Where did the time go in 2009?***

So I'm really getting into the classics. So far I've watched Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Carmen Jones and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Besides finally being able to understand what the hell Mos Def was talking about on the couch at the radio station in Brown Sugar I really love all of the roles that the women are playing.

Even though the movies are old and the women still play traditional gender roles (Dorothy Dandridge cooking and rubbing Harry Belafonte's feet, Audrey Hepburn dying to be married, etc), all of the leading women STILL stand out as different from the pack, different from the norm, different from the other women in the movie and most importantly, different from the women in that day in age.

When you're watching movies in 2009, it's as if they go out of their way to make the characters seem just like you, like characters you can relate to, like people you know in your real life. But the classics are fantasy and that's part of the reason I enjoy them so much. I'm sure many women fantasized about driving their own cart the way the heroine did in Gone with the Wind or wished they had the free spirit of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Another thing that I also love about the classics, is the subtlety. For example, it took me to watch the special features to figure out that Audrey Hepburn was a call girl in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Sure, all the clues were there, but I just though she was popular with the fellas. LMAO!

Anyway, what's your favorite classic? Any I should add to my Netflix queue?

3 comments:

TatooTuesday said...

Those movies are hard for me to watch because I don't consider them "my classics." It's hard for me to get into stuff with people that I can't really relate too.

Kismet said...

Wow. Didn't think I'd ever agree with TatooTuesday but...I do.

Except when it comes to the MGM musicals.

So did you check these out:
My Fair Lady
Singing in the Rain
West Side Story

I think I now all the words to West Side Story #typicalpuertoricanchick

And there's Porgy and Bess. Never seen it though--let me know how it is if you

TatooTuesday said...

Wow @Kismet... I'm sure me and you have agreed on something before!!!

I'm not that bad.