Thursday, July 30, 2009

Adding Up Dating Time

How do you all add dating time? From the first date, the first kiss, the first relations, the first family meet-up? I have girlfriends who were not claiming their significant others for real in high school or the beginning of college, but when they're recalling the relationship their math gets all fuzzy and they come up with this erroneous number of years.

Then I have guy friends who are married, who KNOW they were in a relationship with their wife for a long time before the man actually started counting being together. Like how is she telling folks y'all been together for two years longer than you telling folks y'all been together?

In real life though, does it matter? For those of you that are married or in long-term relationships, is it a point of contention? Does your husband/wife/significant other get mad when you mess the months/years up? I guess in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm so good with numbers that it just messes me up.

On another note why is when a guy doesn't want to be serious (yet) he tells you how many dates you've been on. We've only been on three dates and you're trying to lock a brother down. But when that same dude is trying to smash he counts the very first time he saw you as factoring into your decision. But we've been knowing each other for six months. DUDE, the time that you were watching me and I didn't know you DOES NOT COUNT.

5 comments:

ThummyB said...

How long have we been dating? - I think that now I count from the 1st date...prob b/c, for me, it doesn't matter how long you call or text me. Until we actually go out, ur just a friend.

How long have we been a couple? - I suppose that I would count this from the time that we agree to date exclusively. Since 1 date does not equal 'You're my man, and I'm your woman.', then we have to make that declaration before I start counting our years 'together'.

There was a discrepancy on when my last relationship began, but we only had about a 3 week variance...not really a big deal.

TatooTuesday said...

In dating I count from the first date.

If I'm trying to smash I'm gonna count from the initial time I dedicated time to you that I could've spent on another girl. Therefore from our first hour long phone convo is when I start counting.

K to the... said...

It's been so long since I had a relationship...I can't remember where I started from.

*Walks away hanging head in shame*

*walks back*

Ok, I remember, I counted from the first date as far as determining how long I was dating this guy...then the day he actually ASKED me to be his g/f, that specific date was established as our official anniversary date.

I hate that my niece was born the day after...now I can't remember forget the date. *D'oh!*

Soapbox Cormack said...

"It's been so long since I had a relationship...I can't remember where I started from.

*Walks away hanging head in shame*

*walks back*

Ok, I remember"

@ K to the... I AM CRACKING UP!

I count, like Thummy B, from the exclusive, I'm dropping all other side folks for you, point. Which come September, makes 6 years. I am getting old. Damn.

And T, I totally agree. If a guy is trying to get it in, they would count knowing you if you randomly passed them on the street. Or, we been knowing each other since birth, cause we were born in the same hospital, or some mess like that. You can forget it, dude!

Afenya said...

"In real life though, does it matter? For those of you that are married or in long-term relationships, is it a point of contention? Does your husband/wife/significant other get mad when you mess the months/years up?"

It's crazy but we either don't mess the years up or we mess them up together and correct each other but we don't have any major discrepancies on how or when we met. But I do think it's hilarious how some guys are when it comes to remembering dates and things. Why are men and women so different when it comes to that? I guess it's the venus and mars thing.