Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Trip Update

I can't believe it's been four months since I was comtemplating this dilemma. Here are the trips I was considering:

1. Atlanta in April for a conference
2. New Orleans in June for the hell of it (I've actually never been)
3. Puerto Rico in June for a homie's bday

Here's what's happened in the past four months:

1. I decided not to go to Atlanta. I found a ticket for $166 on American, but the conference cost is $475. Mind you it about doubled since last year and I feel guilty asking my company to pay that fee considering we had layoffs a little bit ago, not to mention lodging costs. 1 point for fiscal responsibility.

2. I'm taking this trip. We've been talking about it for over a year and I don't want to let my friends down. I can barely afford it, but I've never been and I think it'll be a cheap, fun, laid-back, adult trip. (i.e. we'll be sipping spirits, but it won't be a Miami or Cancun type of trip). -1 point for fiscal responsibility.

3. I rationalized that if I could take an adult, laid back trip to NOLA, then I can break the bank to take a wild and crazy trip to Puerto Rico. Complete with an all-inclusive hotel stay, partying every night... going to sleep drunk... waking up drunk...

Then... before I could make a bad decision, I got the news that my roll dawg is getting married in Baltimore the same weekend. PR no, B-more yes! 1 point for supporting my girl and for black love (like I had anything to do with that, LOL!). BUT - 1 point because it's an unbudgeted trip. Your girl is still breaking even though.

THEN Kismet decides to go to France and invites me to come visit. Sigh. Damn my successful, world-traveling awesome friends! How could I pass up free lodging in France? So I go back and forth, back and forth and decide actually no... I'm not going, it's irresponsible. It's unbudgeted and France isn't going anywhere. 1 point for me for fiscal responsibility.

Guess what? For making the right choice I got a financial blessing that's allowing me to go, even though I had decided not to. YAY!!!

So all together I'm at 1 point for fiscal responsibility. Let's see if I'm still up (i.e. using cash only, not credit), by the end of the summer.

Moral of this story: If I make the right choices, God will make a way for me to have the desires of my heart. Instead of trying to figure out my own way (using credit cards), I just have to trust that what God has for me is for me. And so far He had a trip to France in store for me! I can't wait to see what's next. :)

1 comment:

antithesis said...

once im done with grad school, i'll be interrogating you on the best way to get some world traveling before i start accumulating hours for licensure.