Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rate in order...

How would you rank these albums (Please explain). They're in alpha order by first name now, but I'll put my ranking (and explanation) in the comments at the end of the day. :)

Erykah Badu - Baduism
Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott?
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Mary J. Blige - My Life

***UPDATE***

First of all, I think these are all tied at 1, but when forced to rank, my ranking is the same as Nerd Girl's but for slightly different reasons.

1. Baduism - For this to be Ms. Badu's freshman project, I really think it stood out. There was nothing else like it out at the time (that I knew about)
2. The Miseducation - Lauryn Hill's album was also unique. It was fresh and to this day I can listen to this over and over without skipping any songs.
3. Who Is Jill Scott? - Jill is MY girl. I love her, but I just think she wasn't as original as Ms. Badu and Ms. Hill.
4. My Life - This album is also off the chain, but it wasn't MJB's freshman project, so it has to go last for me. What's the 411 doesn't even start to compare to the others. Don't trip though, this album gets played on repeat as well.

Lastly, this isn't my question. Stole it from a guy that asked it to me on a date.

4 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

1. Erykah Badu - Baduizm. Loved this album. She is so clever, has a unique sound and Next Lifetime is still my jam!

2. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I like my albums to be sing-alongable. This one fits the bill. Nice mix of fast and slow songs.

3. Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott. Great album, a little slow for my taste. I can't listen to it in one sitting. I like my Jill in doses.

4. Mary J Blige - My Life. I'm just not a bit MJB fan. (I know, I know) This album is the only one mentioned that I do not own.

Fun post!

ThummyB said...

1. L Hill
2. E Badu
3. J Scott
4. MJB


All are great albums, but this is just my preference as far as likelihood to pick one up and pop it into the stereo.

kay* said...

oh gosh. this is really really hard. i'm gonna put j.scott #4 only because i've never heard any of her full albums....so i think my list would look like this:

#1 - Lauryn Hill - when i think of the songs on this album there's just soooo many great ones. i can put the album on and listen to it start to finish without skipping...

#2 - this was hard and i'm waffling between MJB and Ms Badu but will put Badu here. This album just came at a time when everything was sounding alike and here came this soulful woman, all afrocentric with a very different sound. it was just - incredible.

#3- MJB this album definitely has some hot tracks on it. some of my favourite mary records of all-time actually (i'm going down..)

NaturallyAlise said...

1. Mary J. Blige - My Life : This was the first album that ever moved me, so it holds a dear place in my heart. Who would have thought the soundtrack to my first loves would still apply as I hit 30?

2. Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott? : I still play this alum loud and often, i am a poet so i also appreciate how poetry is represented thru her music.

3. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill : for Ex-Factor alone I stan for this album


4. Erykah Badu - Baduizm : Erykah is my girl, i loooooooove her, but i think her magnum opus is Mamas Gun, which is my favorite album of all time.... Baduizm was just a preview, hence me putting it last


*this should be a type of post you do often, i love it!*