Monday, March 9, 2009

The McDonald's Effect

Have you ever been to McDonald's at about 3 p.m? You're literally the only one in the restaurant, but it takes about 30 minutes to get your food. But if you go at 12:05 p.m., they get you your artery clogging wonderful tasting fries in 90 seconds or less, guaranteed.

This twisted turn of events is called the McDonald's effect. When things are busy, workers are their most effecient. When things are slow, workers are their least productive. Oh boy, why can't I get over this phenomenon?

Now today and everyday of 2009, I've been SUPER busy at work. But the month I put this message in my drafts in 2008, I was-dare I say it-slow at work. (shhhh, don't tell anyone, I'll never admit which month it was anyway).

On those slow days I would be downright livid when someone gave me work to do. I'd be thinking don't you know I'm writing Tea & Such posts right now, catching up on YBF and Bossip, reading Suze Orman online, commenting on people's facebook photos, arguing with people on gchat, planning my next vacation and hollering at 4S via various methods of communication. Don't you know I didn't come here to work today? LOL!

Isn't it a hilarious phenomenon? You're sitting in McDonald's thinking there is NO ONE else here, where is my food? And THEN I'm sitting in my office like I don't have ANYTHING else to do, but... PLEASE don't give me any work.

If you know about a cure to this phenomenon, please let me know. I think it's called Just Do Your Damn Job. LOL! What about you, have you been a victim of the McDonald's effect?

2 comments:

antithesis said...

oh man i hate that. but more often than not i have the opposite effect. see, there normally isnt ish to do at work so i get other necessary things done but most days i dont have anything pressing. on the days i didnt finish reading that chapter for class or i need to run an errand are the very days my supervisor wants to acknowledge i exist and act accordingly.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I love this post!!! Just when you think you are about to surf the Net your supervisor gives you a bunch of work to do!! LOL