Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Guns and Such

A friend's facebook status says that someone got shot in the Walgreens on 71st and Jeffery on Saturday. That's right folks, INSIDE of the store. Hoodlums don't even give a damn about security cameras or innocent bystanders anymore. I can't find a link to the news, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

This is one of my favorite posts. Mainly because it sparked so much intelligent debate. What we all want is fewer killings and safer streets in Chicago, but we can't agree on the proper way to do that and there are honestly good arguments on both sides.

Lawmakers can't agree either. Students from Simeon H.S., Howard University and Stanford University went to Springfield last week to lobby for House Bill 48, which would ban private handgun sales and establish universal background checks for gun buyers.

This student action really touched me because I typically feel helpless when it comes to violence in the community. I usually feel the only thing I can do is live further away from where the violence is taking place (gun violence on the north side is much less prevalent, so I feel safe where I live). Me being safe, however, doesn't help these innocent children who have no choice in where they live (or their parents who probably don't have much of a choice either).

So the actions of these students have inspired me to do something about gun violence in the Chi. I figure there are three things I can do:

1) Bring light to the problem and hopefully inspire action in others (that means you, thanks for reading!)

2) Reach out to my state and federal legislators to let them know eliminating gun violence in Chicago is a priority and I expect them to be working towards a solution. (If you want to reach out as well, find local legislator info here)

3) Mentor a child. I think I'm one of the few people in my many circles who doesn't officially mentor a child. It's time for me to get off my tush and make time for the kids. If I can keep one kid of the street, I think it'll be well worth it. (Holler at me, if you have a good recommend for an organization through which to mentor a child)

3 comments:

ThummyB said...

Most people that I know mentor through Link Unlimited (http://www.linkunlimited.org/index.html).

Keep in mind that mentoring can be fulfilling, but also very very frustrating. Your mentee may never seem to open up, change for the better, and/or appreciate you. Some do and some don't, but you have to keep the faith and stick with it.

I know you've mentored before, but I just like to throw that little warning out there b/c I've seen some people be veeery surprised by their experience.

Luvvie said...

I've been meaning to do a mentorship program, but what are good ones?

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Thanks for this post. Things have gotten out of hand everywhere, but of course I'm more concerned about the crime in my hometown. :-(

Wow, on 71st & Jeffrey someone started shooting inside the Walgreen's? What is this world coming to?

We all need to do something about it. I keep saying that I'm going to mentor a young girl, but keep putting it off. I will stop procrastinating!! Thanks T!