Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Drive Less, Live More

I was on the phone with D last week and she mentioned that if I'm interested, now would be a good time for me to get a car since carmakers are practically giving them away.

I reminded her that me not having a car is a lifestyle choice that I've made that's convenient for me and it has very little to do with car affordability. (Cars are cheap... parking, gas and everything else related to driving in Chicago are what's expensive).

Side note: Old people NEVER understand why I don't have a car. They think I've fallen on "rough times" or that when I find a "nice man" I'll get that car "I always wanted."

Anyway, I came across this Web site that encourages people to Drive Less and Live More. It encourages you to have more cost-efficient, environmentally-friendly travel options by thinking, moving and playing more. If we're being honest, this Web site is just a pretty marketing tool for the CTA, but who has time for honesty out here.

Anyway, what would it take for you to drive less?

7 comments:

Torrance Stephens - All-Mi-T said...

glad i live i=on a farm dont have to drive much

Reese said...

honestly, id have to live downtown or on he near north or south sides to drive less, i could never not have a car, but i would drive less if i lived closer to where i work, and socialize and shop

ThummyB said...

I would skip the car if A. I lived in a warm climate year round, or B. my commute on the bus/train was no more than 20 mins to anyplace important in my life.

PyT said...

I'm actually thinking about buying a car. Something that could get me from point A to point B. This winter has been brutal and I have missed church on Sundays and not gone to functions because I didn't want to stand in the cold and snow.

Spiderlgs said...

I would drive less if I lived in a place with good public transit. I actually enjoy hopping on the train or the bus downtown in Chicago in the summer, but in the A I refuse to wait in the blazing heat for 20 mins for a bus to come to take a 2 hr ride somewhere i Could drive in 15 mins. naaaah

Cris said...

If I worked downtown I would. When you work in the west suburbs and live in the south suburbs, its near impossible to be without a car. Man I miss Metra and I live like 2 blocks from the Metra station.

Florence said...

If the CTA was as efficient as the MTA, I wouldn't have a car. I also work in the suburbs, so a car is necessary.

~la negrita
www.negritalinda.com