Thursday, March 12, 2009

Book of the Week

Hey folks,

I'm going to start a new segment: Book of the Week. There won't be a book of the week every week, but if I come across some hotness, I'll share it with you all.




The first book is Steve Harvey's Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.

This book is a practical guide to helping women understand what men are thinking about love, relationships and intimacy. We all like to act like we have a handle on what's going on with the opposite sex, but this book definitely has some aha moments. Steve Harvey is clearly twice my age and has found love in his life, so I respect his wisdom and, of course his wit.

Don't get it twisted, this is not a how to get a guy in 10 days type guide. It's just information to help keep you from playing Boo-Boo the Fool or Connie Confused when navigating relationships. I love his straight, no chaser method of delivering information. The book is logical, practical an easy read and, if nothing else, entertaining.

My favorite chapters are sports fish vs. keeper and the five questions every woman should ask before getting in too deep.

Thanks to thummyb for letting me borrow it. Also, if you want to read a book a week, but haven't fit that into your budget, you can request any book you want at your local library and they'll buy it. I know a bunch of folks haven't been to the library since they were shorties doing research projects (I feel old since we had card catalogs and not computers), but libraries are still open and working and we should definitely use them, lest they become obsolete.
A book swap with homies is another great way to read for the free. And, last but not least, I'm also a fan of going to Borders for an hour or so every day to read a chapter of a book until I'm finished with it.

Don't judge me, I'm on a tight budget out here folks. Trips must be taken and credit card debt must be obliterated. Gotta get as much as I can for the free or cheap.

And now some "reading hilarity" for your morning. (Please turn your speakers down at work, lest you get fired).

7 comments:

Reese said...

i see steve harvey tryin to court the women, but i cant mess with this at all. Honestly, aint no book gonna teach a woman how not to get played cause every man is different, im gonna try to read it though so i can fully form an opinion, that was just my knee jeck reaction to this. T, i think i got that itch, i may just bomb ur inbox with somethin real soon for posting, i think its time to stir the pot a bit

PyT said...

I'm reading it now and am finding it very insightful. Definitely clueing me in on what's game and what's real. This is the book of the month for the book club I'm part of. However, I won't be in town for the meeting. I would love to see a dialogue b/w males and females regarding this book.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

This is so funny! I was thinking about posting his book today on BGG!!

Great post. Did you see him on Oprah?

Reese said...

cats giving away the game...smh steve harvey, player card, revoked

kay* said...

i might have to go pick this book up...eb the celeb just reviewed this book too and had good things to say about it too....

TatooTuesday said...

It is fitting that Steve Harvey wrote this book since he is on his fourth wife and his prior wives have accused him of pulling the Chris Brown tactics out before. Steve is tryna make a quick book. Two other lesser-known comedians wrote books with this same premise within the past 3 years.

But I'm pretty sure, Steve does give up the game. But for the most part, it isn't anything an honest guy wouldn't tell you.

ThummyB said...

I read it, and I'm a fan. In reality I think that it's easy for women to make excuses for men. This book kinda just brings all of those items to the forefront so that you are no longer able to deny your intuition.