Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fitness Update

I haven't done one of these in a while.

So you all know I go back and forth from trying to lose weight/tighten up to trying to gain weight/thicken out. LOL!

I think what I'm doing is probably pretty unhealthy, but there are so few things in life that I can actually control, that I find it empowering that I can control my weight. So during the get it right period (spring 2008), I think I gained 4-6 pounds. I wasn't weighing myself though, I was just trying on that dress that was too big.

Then in December 2008/January 2009, I started hitting the gym HARD and quasi-dieting. 1200 calories a day, very few carbs, 100 calorie snacks, lots of soup (which fills you up, but doesn't have a lot of calories). For those that don't know. I typically do a soup diet every winter. I said I was going to stop doing that, but it's so depressing when your clothes don't fit and you're trying to pay off debt, so you don't want to shop too much. So I lose weight, rather than shop.

Anyway, the December 2008/January 2009 quasi-diet was brought about because there was a formal dress I wore freshman year in ungergrad that I was trying to get into for the black tie gala in D.C. during inaugural weekend. That was a big fat fail. I lost 10 pounds, BUT the dress still didn't fit... like couldn't even zip it up. I think I'm just built differently than I was back then. (which is fine).

So when I found out I'd lost 10 pounds, I figured I could eat whatever I wanted. I'm ordering avocado on all my lunch sandwiches. Eating one and a half blueberry muffins on continental breakfast Friday, gettin that McNuggets lovin' in, having three courses for Sunday brunch, eating cake for dinner... Do you know 5 of those 10 pounds are back already (in like 7 days). FUGDE!

Now I have to start restricting calories again and please believe I'll be at the gym every day until I'm back at fighting weight.

I don't know that the back and forth will ever end because I have the worst sweet tooth, but I'm also opposed to my clothes not fitting. Whatever... that's the update.

2 comments:

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Thanks for the update! Staying fit can be so challenging - that's why I don't really ever attempt! I know that sounds bad, but I hate working out. I guess the only good thing is that I do eat well...that's of course excluding gummi bears and gummi worms!

Good luck!! You can do it!

Btw, LOL @ "McNuggets lovin in!"

ThummyB said...

STOP THE MADNESS!!! :-) LOL!

So you know how I feel about healthy and 'moderate' weight loss. I suggest that you find a plan that you can stick to...long term. For instance, maybe you can commit to hit the gym 4 times a week (Mon-Tues (break Wed) Thurs-Fri (chill weekends).

Then take a look at the diet...not EVERY sandwich needs to have avacado, BUT maybe you can holler at some avacado once a week. Same for the other items. That bacon, cheeseburger on Sun was FIYAH, but clearly another of those won't pass through my life for some time. Same goes for the blueberry muffins, etc.

You know it's all about what you can LIVE with. Eventually, you will balance out at a weight that you like and can maintain.

Also, if something is too big or small, then you're prob gonna want to bite the bullet and get it altered. There will ALWAYS be clothes that are slightly off, so maybe think of it as getting your clothese tailored to your body (like the upscale, business woman that you are), rather than an extra expense to take a dress or some jeans in/out.