Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tea's Tangents: Winter Weather Edition

I haven't done one of these in a hot minute. Enjoy.

1. It's December in Chicago, but it feels like February. It's non-stop snowing. Wake-up snowing. Go to work snowing. Go home snowing. Go to bed snowing. It was pretty a couple of days ago, but now it's just hurting my feelings.

2. Fluffy snow is better than slushy snow.

3. You will never appreciate a good, warm, waterproof, firm grip boot until you leave them at work and have to wear gym shoes during a snow storm.

4. The new CTA hybrid buses are off the chain. You can fit WAY more people on them due to the design and they're better for the environment too.

5. The CTA gets props for getting me to and from work in about the same amount of time in a snowstorm as it takes when it's sunny outside...

6. However, it's inevitable that in a snow storm, your CTA bus WILL break down. This happened to me last year about 3 blocks from the job. Today I got on the bus in the middle of a snowstorm and it smelled like burnt plastic. The bus driver checked it out (after I sat down, of course) and the bus was indeed, on fire. We all promply exited and waited for the next bus.

7. Mayor Daley is on some straight bull-ish with the no overtime pay for snow workers. If it starts snowing at 5:01 p.m. and doesn't stop until 8:59 a.m. there will be no snow removal until 9 a.m. Do you think that's safe, Mayor Daley? This isn't the south. We don't shut down for snow. I wonder how much money they're really saving...

8. Anyone who lives and works in Chicago is a gansta. It takes a different type of drive and perseverance to leave a warm bed, take a warm shower, put on warm clothes and then venture out into the brutal wet cold. And I won't even get started on the hawk.

9. Yes, I will. The hawk is a beast! When it's not snowing it's like 9 or 10 degrees here. Then the wind, affectionately known as the hawk in the Chi, hits you in the face like you stole money from him or something. I've been getting pimped slapped all week. My coat's been disrespected. My earmuffs have been violated. My gloves can't get any love. It's just not right.


10. I haven't been on a plane in over two months and I'm going nuts.

11. I haven't been to a warm vacation locale in over five months and that's driving me insane. I am too light-skinned over here right now. I can see the veins in my hands. I need to be somewhere working on my blue black.

6 comments:

Reese said...

numbers 4 and 5 kinda blew me.....you live on the north side and you know that because there are white folk up there who piss and moan when that buss is 30 seconds late they make sure stuff runs on time....lol reason number 9473849234 that i need to leave the south side.

I feel like im one of the only folk south of hyde park who actually complains about stuff

great list though...

Mrs.Young_fashion said...

I'm feeling you on number 11. I'm not that light, but I love when I get a slight tan and my tone looks even. Winter weather takes the color out my face.

Cris said...

Number 2....man you ain't lying!!!! What is worse is slushy snow, then a -7 degree day that turns it into ice mountains.

Reason number 758386942436 that i should move back to the west coest, (LOL I got that from Reese but it got me thinking)

ThummyB said...

Man - number 3 is what's up. I messed around and didn't catch the weather report...it was a difficult situation getting home.

#4 - Yeah, the #4 has not yet adopted the new hybrid bus.

@ #7 - Are they not removing snow until 9 am, or are they just not paying time and a half for the hours above and beyond their normal shift?

T said...

@ thummyb, you know, I'm not sure. The way I understood it, no one can get overtime. And overtime is 40 hours a week. So it's possible folks could be working during non-work hours to remove the snow, but it it takes more than 40 hours a week per person, it's not going down.

I've definitely noticed a difference with the snow removal (or lack thereof).

K to the... said...

Let me just say for #7...the city council approved the purchase of the Michael Reese Hospital property for $86 million for the Olympics.

1.) I, for one, don't want the Olympics here. After the fiasco of Millenium Park being overbudget and opening late, I'm not convinced.
2.) That $86 million could be used to salt these damn streets...ESPECIALLY the side streets. Some side streets didn't see a plow till yesterday and it was hella snow on the ground SATURDAY.

Ok, I'm done. :-D