Friday, November 7, 2008

Why I couldn't stop crying (and still can't)...

Disclaimer: This is a tear jerker. If you need to function at work, you might want to read this over the weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Chicago, we were watching CNN at the rally, and counting down out loud until the polls closed in Cali. 10-9-8-7-6-5... But it's hard to count together with 100,000 people when the clock isn't showing on screen. So here's what happened...



1:34 it got quiet in Grant Park

1:37 The entire crowd exhaled, then we frickin lost our minds. We were caught off guard and it was amazing. We could have cured drouts with the tears that were shed. It was the THE ABSOLUTE BEST MOMENT OF MY ENTIRE LIFE.

5:07-5:11 You see how in New York, they were chillin' til the cameras came around. Not so in the Chi. After the annoucement we were LIVE cheering, jumping, screaming, bananas, NON STOP

6:35 Roland Martin coming with the facts. WATERWORKS!!!!

7:18 Quoting Dr. King. My body collapsed, I mean literally had to lean over. Overwhelmed, Overjoyed, emotionally exhuasted and in utter amazement at the foreshadowing. "I may not get there with you"? CNN, why are you doing this to me? "I may not get there with you"? OH LORD, I couldn't stop the tears.

8:02 Thummyb was like "Everyone else is crying and hysterical and Al Sharpton's just smiling on cue." No comment on this permed up puppy.

8:45 "What if Barack Obama is the symbol who walks through, what if he is the representative to the world of the United States." OH GOD... more tears.

9:40 Roland Martin choking up. GOOD LORD, WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO STOP CRYING?

9:50 Celebration in Kenya. The motherland rejoices. I give up. I put the tissue my Latino sister at the rally had given me in my pocket. My face is just going to have to be ashy, cause I'm never going to stop crying.

10:33 It's an incredible night indeed, Soledad. An incredible night indeed.

The worst part is that thummyb was standing behind me, so we hadn't really celebrated "together." And I think we both purposely didn't make eye contact at first. But then when it calmed down I realized I hadn't looked at her. I turned around and screamed in excitement and hugged her and we must've hugged and cried for like 3 or 4 minutes straight.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!! I won't ever be the same after Tuesday, November 4th. I've changed for the better and May God continue to bless our great nation.

6 comments:

ThummyB said...

Thank God I decided to work from home today. Girl, I started crying in the car on the way to the gym this morning. It just keeps hitting me anew everyday. Tuesday was prob the best day of my life so far. Truly amazing.

Oh...love the revamped background.

Paris said...

It's amazing. Scott and I were in the cab on the way to Devon last night and our cabbie, who was Pakistani and Muslim, told us how happy he and his family were that Obama is now our President. He said that he gave them hope as a people of color that much CAN indeed be achieved in America.

Scott and I both talked about how it makes us want to be better individuals and stepping up to the plate to make sure that our country does see the change that we all hope for :-)

Cris said...

Man Chicago is still on fire. Especially as he gives his press conference today. I still don't think it has truly soaked in.

Continue to pray for this family as they need God's protection from those people whose minds are still stuck in the 1960's and are not ready for an African American (yes I said AA, he is one for real) to run this country.

Pray that God covers them with his hand of protection and that he shields those children from the hate that still exists in this nation.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I am still on Cloud 9. I have never felt so optimistic and hopeful as I do now. I LOVE the USA - never really thought I'd ever say that!!! LOL

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I was so sad that I couldn't celebrate. It was just me and my husband...I heard people cheering outside and horns blowing...fun times indeed!!

T said...

BGG, being alive is celebration enough. We lived to see a great, great day!!!