Monday, September 8, 2008

Tea's Top 10: Things I learned working a second job

Hey folks,

Saturday was my last day at my second job.

Pause.

***Insert animated praise dance here***

Resume.

(In unexpected good news I also had yesterday off.) It was a temporary summer position, but they asked me to stay on for the fall (and indefinitely), I said yes (thinking of the money), then reniged (thinking of my physical and mental health and well being). I need my life and my weekends back.

So anyway, this job has been a blessing in more ways that one. I met some cool peeps, learned some important lessons and observed some interesting things. This week (and pretty much all of next) on the blog, will be all Top 10 lists dedicated to (or somehow relating to) my second job.

Enjoy!

Today, I'm going to discuss the top 10 things I learned working at my second job:

10. I need a secondary income (more on that in a later post).

9. Nepotism is alive and well.

8. ... an appreciation for wage workers.

7. It actually, as in literally, pays to show up early at an hourly wage job. (Clearly, I didn't just learn this, but it was a good reminder and I appreciate my salaried job that much more now).

6. People are stupid. (More on this on Wednesday and Thursday.)

5. If applications went out to be parents most people would fail. (More on this next Monday).

4. All organizations [large or small, for-profit or not], when ran by people, are disorganized.

3. My paternal grandmother worked two jobs when she was my age (and much longer after that).

2. My mom, who worked endlessly when I was a toddler and she was a single parent, probably taught me more my first three years of life than I've ever learned since.

1. I'm stronger than I typically give myself credit for and my work ethic is second to none.

4 comments:

Reese Johnson said...

6. People are stupid.
SO SO true.
i think I will write a top 10 dedicated to solely that.

Paris said...

*doing an animated praise clap for you* I'm excited that you will no longer be slave to the weekend gig (even if summer is over, there may be some wintertime house parties worth checking out ;-)). I have been thinking about getting a seasonal job during the holidays just to cushion my pockets though. Times are rough :-/ Looking forward to the top 10 lists..

ThummyB said...

"1. I'm stronger than I typically give myself credit for and my work ethic is second to none."

This is a fact!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I just love your Top Ten Lists!!! I need a second job. I'm just too lazy!!! It's like there just isn't enough time for a second job. I guess that's because I enjoy sleeping way too much on the weekends.

Anyway, I couldn't agree with you more - "All organizations large or small, when run by people are disorganized!" Ain't that the truth! LOL!!