Let Janet play while reading this post. It was definitely playing in my head, while reflecting on things I missed.
Here are the top ten things I didn't know I had until they were gone. Thank you second job.
10. The weekend: 48 hours of free time, even if you spend it running errands, is better than having to work and having NO time to do anything.
9. New York, Vegas & Miami: All trips I turned down because I had to work. (To my credit I turned them down to save money as well, but hey, it was because of the second job, so it goes on the list).
8. Saturday morning breakfast: Working two jobs I had to pick between a my usual big lazy Saturday breakfast or an extra 30 minutes of sleep. I chose sleep.
7. Free time in the evenings: When you work seven days a week the evening is for rest and sleep. That's it.
6. Free time to blog: (which is why I'm packing three and a half months of observations about my second job into two weeks of non-stop blogs about it)
5. A gym membership: Just like #9 and #8 on this list. I had to choose between 30 minutes to an hour at the gym or more sleep. You already know what I chose. Now that I get my weekends back, I can add my workouts to the weekday AND weekend mix (and maybe drop some of this get-it-right weight... maybe not).
4. The no-kids good life: (This isn't gone, by the way, but I definitely appreciate it more) Seeing all those kids every weekend make me happier every day that I don't have any AND FURTHER let me know what a big responsibility it is to do a good job with those little crumb snatchers when I make a decision to have them.
3. Job security: Every day at the second job a slip of the tongue with a guest or other co-worked COULD have resulted in my termination. As a wage worker, you are oftentimes disposable despite your record and/or tenure with the company. At my 9 to 5, [I think and hope] I'm much more valuable than that.
2. Spontaneity: I'm not particularly spontaneous, but the option to be was stripped away from me. I rarely made it to the last minute get-togethers, barbecues, shindigs or happenings because... I was at work, was leaving work or on the way to work when the opportunity presented itself. Side note: unshockingly enough, I did NOT miss the club.
1. Church on Sunday morning!!! I made an effort to go to evening services, but be for real, most good churches are in the hood. Car-less I had to rely on other people to be willing and available to go with me (so I wouldn't have to take public transit to the 'hood). I did ok, but I cannot wait to get back to AFC every Sunday MORNING on my own schedule.