Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tea's Top 10: At Home Sick

I'm going to break up the top 10 today. As many of you know I was at home sick yesterday. First the top 5 reasons it sucks being at home sick and second the Top 5 reasons it's no so bad.

5. The bodyaches are debilitating. And the meds I took hit my brain before they hit my body, so I'm delusional sitting in the bed thinking I'm going to be that one person with the string of the cold virus that no medication can cure.

4. I'm single with no kids, so my kitchen is not stocked like a married and/or person with kids' kitchen would be (and neither is my medicine cabinet for that matter). No chicken noodle soup, no honey for my tea. No lemon tea, just green tea and peach tea. No Nyquil, no bedtime Tylenol. I had orange juice, apples, Ibuprofen and that's about it.

3. I don't own a thermometer, so I couldn't tell if I had a fever or if it was just hot in my apartment. I was scared to turn the fan or the air on because I assumed that sleeping under them is what got me in this mess in the first place. I was going back and forth from hot to cold. Under all the covers, under none of the covers. Aw man, it sucked.

2. It's hard to tell if I'm getting better or not. I feel better at first, then I open my mouth to talk and it's like Darth Vader has taken over my body. Or I'm in the bed watching the Wire (uninterrupted in the daylight, thank God) and I get up and a headache hits me like a ton of bricks. Am I better? Am I worse... I dunno.

1. I'm going to have hundreds of emails when I get back to work tomorrow and I'm going to be there ALL night catching up on work. SUCKS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

5. I was here when the plumber came.

4. I shredded two blue bags worth of unnecessary mail. Yes, I use blue bags. No, I don't actually think the city of Chicago recycles what I put in those blue bags, but hey, I'm doing MY part.

3. I took the time to make a good breakfast today. Nothing like French Toast on a Tuesday!!!

2. I didn't have to go to work, which means I can sit at my computer catching up on the DNC without email and phone call interruptions (and, of course I'm blogging and facebook stalking like Reese suggested).

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON BEING AT HOME SICK ISN'T SO BAD IS:

1. A sad face on a text message resulted in a lovely visit from my mom and sis with all the necessities I lacked: family time, fresh fruits and veggies, homemade enchiladas, chicken noodle soup, tea, Nyquil, a thermometer AND RIII-CO-LAAAAA cough drops.

4 comments:

Reese Johnson said...

that visit from moms was a godsend wasnt it? and i facebook stalk all the time from work while multi tasking so i understand lol. being sick makes you evaluate how you grocery shop doesnt it? i swear i got all kinda honey and soup and shit at the crib now. I think im gonna take a mental health day soon...

antithesis said...

mom and sis were lifesavers! that's good. being sick sucks. being HOME sick is the business.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I hope you're feeling better! Although I'm married, our cupboard is usually always bare expect for some frozen salmon (my fave)!! I need to be more grown up and stock up our kitchen.

Again, feel better and isn't it great to have family who loves you? I hate being here in NYC without ANY family. :-(

Krystal Cormack said...

Must be going around... everyone I know and their kid (including me, and my kids) have this end-of-summer cold. I wonder if we could track it using six degrees of separation...