Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Maywood Shootings

Hey folks,

Three teens were killed in Maywood Sunday.

I'm going to bring the Tea & Such tempo back up tomorrow, but this was too close to home to not comment. My grandma lives in Maywood, in the same house my mom grew up in. The young boy that's highlighted first in the article lives about 6 blocks from where I grew up, where my mom and stepfather still live, where my 19 year old brother is undoubtedly running the streets until he goes back to college. Where my 20 year old brother, if he were home, would be roaming as well.

This ish is out of control. My mom didn't let me go to the local high school because she worked there and her students, in addition to being underserved academically, were always in fear of being shot. More than once she called me with a heavy heart because a student was shot or dead. That was about 10 years ago and it's still heartbreaking and it doesn't look like there's an end in sight. This is only the suburbs people (a hood suburb, but a suburb nonetheless).

So yes, in addition to Bernie's family and Issac Hayes' family (who I didn't even touch on) add the families of these three positive young men to your prayer list and check on your little brothers and cousins.

1 comment:

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I really don't know what's going on back at home (Chicagoland area). I read something in the Times or Tribune (online editions) about another shooting. It reminds me of the early 90s.