I happen to know a couple of folks' leases are ending soon, so I'm going hard on the East Lakeview Campaign.
The # 5 reason you should move to Lakeview is Tonic Room.
Now, I've only been living in this neighborhood for about a year. Even if I didn't have a job and went to a different place in Lakeview (and the immediately surrounding neighborhoods) every day for breakfast, lunch dinner and to party, I still think I would miss a few things. So it's not surprising to me that I've never heard of, or been to Tonic Room.
Now, technically, this place in in Lincoln Park, but when searching for your apartment or condo you'll only want to live on the Northernmost edges of Lincoln Park (i.e. East Lakeview) so you'll be walking distance from me. :)
Tonic Room was like a breath of fresh air. It's a bar that has a DJ like you're at a club. Hip-Hop-non-stop. It was amazing. The DJ was also clearly a Chicago fan because Kanye and Lupe were in HEAVY rotation, mixed in with a lotta Biggie and lil' Wayne and a couple of feel-good songs every now and again (think Motown with beats in the back).
Other hot things about this place:
- You don't have to buy a bottle to sit down (I doubt this place even has bottle service.)
- There's no dress code, so you can do a mini skirt, tee and flip flops and be perfectly comfortable.
- It's not in a location that attracts people who thinks it's ok to bring weapons to clubs, so despite the lack of a dress code it was a very peaceful time.
- There are tons of people with no rhythm there who are BIG FUN to watch, and at times, laugh at
And the absolute best part about Tonic room is the price of the drinks. I bought two beers and a healthy vodka drink for $11. Total. IN CHICAGO. ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. At most places I go to $11 will get you martini "on special" or some small drink that you thought was a rum and coke, but is clearly just mouthwash given the size of the dixie cup they brought it to you in.
Even if you don't move here, we'll have to take a chill night and check out Tonic Room together.
BUT... To recap... East Lakeview's friggin awesome because of...
2. North Avenue Beach
4. Pink Polish AND
5. Tonic Room: a non-pretentious bar with drinks for the low and an off the chain club-like DJ (which is actually located in Lincoln Park, but just a quick walk or $3 cab ride away from East Lakeview)
I'm practically begging people. Join me up here! You'll have the time of your life.
P.S. Make an appointment with The Apartment People. They have all the Lakeview hook-ups.