Sunday, July 20, 2008

We travel too!!!

Attention hair cair companies. BLACK PEOPLE TRAVEL! It occurred to me to bring this up while in my bathroom scooping hair gel into a 3 ounce container with a butter knife.

I frequent Target, Wal-mart, Walgreens and the like and NEVER do I see hair care products for Black people in those $1.00 travel sections. NEVER!!! We spend more money on hair care than any other ethnicities. We probably spend more on hair care as a race in the United States than most countries spend in any given year. WHY WHY WHY WHY... do I have to scoop hair gel into a 3 oz. container when my White, Asian and even Latina sisters can just go into a store of their choosing and pick up whatever they like?

It's not racist... it just comes down to money. Companies see that Black people take up a smaller part of the pie, so assume our products won't sell. (Another problem may be that there are no Black people in those rooms making the decision, but that's a whole 'nother post). Back to the story at hand... if Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Loreal (i.e. Soft Sheen Carson) and the Pink Oil Moisturizer folks are afraid travel size Black hair care products won't sell (trust me, in Lakeview they wont) then put them online. When orders come in assess where they're coming from and begin to sell in the stores in that area. Too high tech for you? Then add the traditional advertising in Essence, Ebony and on TVOne alerting folks that you now have travel stuff available online. Better yet, advertise with the Jamaican board of tourism (you all know Black people LOVE to go to Jamaica). Do you need me to write you a business plan... 'cause I'll do it for a nominal fee.

If Barack Obama gets voted President we BETTER get some travel size Black hair care products. Matter of fact, I want to see Sasha and Malia on the size of a PCJ box or something. If that doesn't happen I'm going to write Michelle and ask her to casually mention that the country doesn't pay attention to people with a smaller percentage of the voice. "For example," says Michelle "I can't even find hair styling products for me and my daughters in discount stores. I have to scoop gel into 3 oz. bottles with a butter knife when we fly."

I know I'm crazy... but a girl can dream right. I'm sayin... if the President of the United States can be a Black man, then I think I can at least get some hair gel or Miss Jessies in a travel size.

7 comments:

B said...

LOL! I sooo understand your sentiments. I've been doing this for years. Thank God Carol's Daughter Tui Oil comes in a travel size. Never mind that I spend close to $10 on it though. Ugh...

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Great point!!! We do need our own travel size products. I remember back in the day there used to be a travel size Pink Lotion moisturizer, remember that! LOL

antithesis said...

LMAO, that is so true. i JUST had that experience last week. i was in cvs with this girl and they didnt have the pantene shampoo she uses in the travel size...it wasnt relaxed and natural, though. it was the curl defining one or whatever it was...

ThummyB said...

How many products come in travel size? I never noticed may products for any hair type in 3oz bottles.

Reese Johnson said...

yo i was at wal mart in country club hills before my woman went to vegas in june and they had em all motions, pink lotions stuff, gels all of that, T put yo order in and ill stock up for ya and bring it to ya

tricia said...

Just wanted to let you know Ampro Pro Styl Gels come in travel sizes - 2 oz. They are available at Walgreens. If you would like me to send you some, send me your address.
Tricia Snead
Brand Manager, Ampro Industries
Memphis, TN

T said...

@ B, I have a Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen Hair oil bottle that I put olive oil in. It's the perfect travel size (and it cost and arm and a leg too)

@ thummyb, I guess that's the mystery. How do they decide what's going to be travel size and what's not? I know for sure there's a ton of Dove travel size products.

@ Reese, I'd love some IC Fantasia Hair gel and Burts Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut if they have in in CCH. Start me a tab, you know I'm good for it.

@ Tricia, Thanks for paying attention. Does Ampro have a white gel? I can't use brown gel in my hair. If so, I'd love to try a travel size. Hit me on email and I'll send you my address.