Monday, July 14, 2008

A [travel] day in the life of

7:00 a.m. (EST) - Hotel wake up call in the Bahamas
7:23 a.m. - Actually get up, shower, pack, etc
8:10 a.m. - Breakfast (Omelette, fresh fruit and freshly squeezed melon juice... heavenly)
8something - Listen to the Ocean
8:53 a.m. - Return to room, grab bags and go wait for shuttle bus
9something - Bus arrives, leave the Riu
9:15 - listen to two Canadian broads argue about who's more mature and why they got on a 9 a.m. bus for a 10:30 a.m. flight. (Dummies)
9:45 a.m. - Arrive at the Nassau Airport
9:50 a.m. - Check in
10:00 a.m. - Spot Malik Yoba in the passport checkpoint line. And for the record yes, he is every bit of yummy chocolatey deliciousness in person as he is on TV, in movies and in those Tyler Perry-esque plays.
10:09 a.m. - Notice that Malik Yoba's with a 3W, return to reading my book.
10:45 a.m. - Successfully make it through 3 security checkpoints and go sit at my gate
11:00 a.m. - Am informed since I'm flying to D.C. I have one more security checkpoint and head over to the H gate to sit and wait. Was told they don't want D.C. passengers mingling with the other passengers. Great.
11:15 a.m. - Am starving... bought a Tortuga Pineapple Rum Cake.
11:30 a.m. - Board the plane. Killed that Rum cake.
12 noon - flight leaves on time
2:30 p.m. - Arrive in DC, find out I have to take a bus to the other terminal. Turn around to purchase a Cinnabon.
2:40 p.m. Killed that Cinnabon.
2:45 p.m. - Take bus to other terminal
3:00 p.m. - Read book
4:30 p.m. - Go grab some lunch/dinner before 6:50 flight. Run into a friend. Hi friend.
5:00 p.m. - Find out my 6:50 flight is moved to 7:20
5:30 p.m. - Flight moved to 7:43
6:00 p.m. - Flight moved to 8:34
6:30 p.m. - Flight moved to 9:13 (wondering if the flight changes will ever hit equilibrium)
7:00 p.m. - Flight moved to 9:32
7:30 p.m. - Flight stayed at 9:32 (Success)
8:00 p.m. - Flight moved to 9:40 (text Kismet. I may need to stay in DC)
8:30 p.m. - Flight moved to 10:15
9:00 p.m. - Flight stayed at 10:15 (Potential Success)
9something - My friend's flight is cancelled. Goodbye friend.
10:11 p.m. - Board plane
10something - plane takes off
11:25 p.m. CST (12:25 EST) - arrive in Chicago. It's chilly. 68 degrees actually. Find out thummyb is already home, despite the fact that she left the Bahamas more than 5 hours after I did.
11:30 p.m. - Go to baggage claim. Retrieve my bag that quite possibly could have been waiting for me since 7:49 (the original time my flight was supposed to arrive in the Chi).
11:35 p.m. - Get a cab
11:48 p.m. - Realize we're still in airport traffic. Great.
12:18 a.m. - Get home.
12:20 a.m. - Figure out the elevator is missing. Walk up each floor until I find it. Ride the elevator from the third floor back down to one to get my bag.
12:27 a.m. - Arrive home sweet home. Smile at my bed.
12:28 a.m. - Thank God that he blessed me with the good sense to take tomorrow off as well and enough vacation time to do it.
12:29 a.m. log on to T & Such to tell you all about the second longest travel day in my entire life.

See the moral of this story in "Going for the cheap" tomorrow and check out my other upcoming posts:

Wedded Bliss Expenditure List
Tea's Top 10
and a new segment "Do You See What I see"

8 comments:

antithesis said...

even with all the delays, i'm super jealous of your trip. and you saw MALIK! yay!

ThummyB said...

On the star gazing piece...Tiff and I saw a chick from ANTM cycle 9, Gene Simmon's son, and Judge Milan from People's Court.

On a travel schedule piece...I was soooo sorry to hear that your flight was so delayed. I know it really sucked. Just so glad that you made it in safely.

Nerd Girl said...

Okay, I'll bite - what's a 3W? Glad you made it in safely.

T said...

I knew someone was going to ask.
3W=Wack White Woman. :)

Krystal Cormack said...

re: the 3W & Malik Yoba: v. unfortunate. Very.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Oh how I wish I could go to the Bahamas. I've never liked Malik Yoba...I don't know why, but i'm glad you saw him! :-)

Welcome back!

Reese Johnson said...

11:15 a.m. - Am starving... bought a Tortuga Pineapple Rum Cake.
11:30 a.m. - Board the plane. Killed that Rum cake.

lol

2:30 p.m. - Arrive in DC, find out I have to take a bus to the other terminal. Turn around to purchase a Cinnabon.
2:40 p.m. Killed that Cinnabon.


hahahahaha

ThummyB said...

I'm late, but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! @ 3W.