Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tea's Hot Tonight

It's 9:01 p.m. I just got in the house and I'm NOT doing pilates. I don't have to do the pilates, you wanna know why? Because I just walked home from the police station on Clark and Addison,

Why T, why were you at the police station?

Well, I'm glad you asked. I was at the police station because I decided to leave work by 8p.m., grab a bite to eat and hop in a cab, so I could at least by home before 9 p.m. I signed out at 7:54 p.m. got Friday's to go in a relatively quick amount of time and hopped in a cab. I told the cab driver my destination AND that I had an American Express. He said it was fine.

Over the course of almost 4 years with my company, I've learned to say American Express and not just credit card because apparently AmEx charges more money than the other companies and cab drivers have some sort of attitude about it. So if they have an attitude, I'd prefer they tell me upfront. Most will say no, I don't take AmEx, and I'll kindly take my little green corporate card elsewhere.

So I get to my door, he runs the credit card, I sign the thing, then he tells me to hold on for an authorization code. Typical cab behavior, but then it's taking forever. Somewhat typical, somewhat not. He says it's not working. Cab drivers say stupid stuff like that when they just want the cash. I say call it in. (People who's expense reports don't come back until 50-60 days after they submit it, say stuff like that).

He calls it in and is adding numbers where they shouldn't be and getting my security number all messed up. To make matters worse, it's on speaker phone and dude who answered the phone is American. Dude who's driving my cab is NOT. So I'm like this is going to be a problem. The guy on the phone says that's a bad card. He hangs the phone up immediately and says "You pay me cash"

I'm thinking... NAW JOE. This is a company card. I JUST spent $2100 online buying premiums with this card. I KNOW it works. So I'm like I'm not paying you cash. I told you I had an AmEx, you have the number and the security code and my name and address, make it work. He's arguing with me and whatnot and then is like fine, we'll go to the police station and they can work it out from there.

I'm straight up like Madea at this point (or my older sister, whatever image comes to mind first). I'm like TAKE ME TO JAIL. I Ain't SCARED OF THE PO-PO. (Ok, I didn't say it just like that, but that's what I was thinking and that's what I meant). So we get to the police station and I'm pissed.

Side note: I had the $11.85 in cash in my purse, but it's the principle of the thing. If I wanted to pay cash I would have paid cash.

Back to the story. We get into the police station and he's going over his story. The police are looking at him like he's nuts and I'm like that's my card, it's a corporate card, it works, he's full of it. He's like I tried it three times in the car and I called it in and you heard me call it in. And I'm like I heard you, but I'm pretty sure the guy on the other line had no idea what you were saying. So the police is like, sir, this is her. Her ID is matching her credit card. I don't think she'd try to stiff you for $11.85 AND she even gave you a tip.

So I'm like fine, let me call the dispatcher, I guarantee it'll go through. So I call, I didn't even have to give the security code and surprise, surprise it went through. I got an authorization code RIGHT away and wrote it on his little punk azz receipt. The dispatcher says do you want me to talk back to the cabbie, I'm like no, you're on speaker, I think he heard you loud and clear ***rollin' my eyes*** So I throw, yes throw the phone on the counter and say, you know what, I think I'll walk home. The cab driver is like (think east Indian accent), why are you so mad? Another eye roll. 20 minutes later, I'm home with a story to tell, but my blood is boiling furiously.

Moral of the story today kids: English is the official language of the United States. LEARN IT!

10 comments:

antithesis said...

oh...DAMN!

Paris said...

Girl, that's horrible! But I really wish Chicago would get like NYC and just put credit card machines in the back of every cab (well at least yellow cabs). When I was there, it was so great just to be able to swipe your card, add tip and everything from the backseat. It would save everyone a headache!

Reese Johnson said...

that would have gone COMPLETELY different if it were me...because why? because i am a black man.....sad but true, glad you made it in one piece though.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Wow!! I'm so glad you stood your ground. I must say, I have had quite a few words with cabbies, but this one takes the cake!!

They try to act stupid all the time, but they know what they're doing.

Great story!! Thanks for sharing.

Btw, yeah Chicago should get those credit card machines in the back like they do here.

ThummyB said...

Oh my. I HATE it when cabbies try to pull that BS. You would think that they would know that we hear the same BS lines all of the time 'The machine isn't working.' 'Your card isn't going through.' Come on now dude...the last 50/11 other drivers tried that same mess. How about you just say you only accept cash, and I can move on w/my life.

Anywho - glad that you stood your ground, and I'm glad that you were able to speak directly to the dispatcher. Honestly, I have just gotten into the habit of paying cash w/in the city b/c the cabbies were charging my card more than once/ride. It's a shame that we have to play these games.

ThummyB said...

Oh...and PLEASE PLEASE don't dare to take me down to the police station over $11.84, and then have the nerve to say "Why are you so mad?" Are you freakin' kidding me?!?! That's the type of comment that will push you over the edge and cause a situation to get violent.

Product Junkie Diva said...

"why are you mad???" lol
very good story, glad you made it home safely.
Product junkie diva

Krystal Cormack said...

I am not sure how I missed this post, but ha ha ha! lol

You'll appreciate this story as well.

My brother-in-law is out at a bbq, and has had too much to drink, and decides to drive himself home.
At 2:59 p.m., my sister gets a phone call from him. She thought it was him telling her that she can turn the alarm off because he's about to pull into their driveway. No.

She answers the phone and he is screaming! "They got me up here on Austin and Lake Street talking about I'm coming out of a high crime area! Police say they want me to take a breath test! I'm not drunk! I'm not drunk. I won't do it! I won't do it. I'm not going out like his. Hell no! Shit! Damn!"

And then he hangs up. So my sister said she is trying to call him back for like 10 minutes and he wont answer his phone. They have four kids, it's three a.m. and they only have one car, so she can't go find him. She said she was LIVID, (to use your word).

About twenty minutes later, he rings the doorbell. She got up to let him in the house. He is crying and he has a little blood on his face and a few scratches. She asks him what happened.

He said he told the police that he wasn't drunk, they were harassing him, and that when Barack Obama was elected president, he was gonna set them straight. The two white cops hit him in the balls with a billy club and let him go home.

lol

T said...

Krystal, that's horrible. Police brutality against black men is a major major problem in America. I sort of want to blog on this topic, but I get to upset and emotionally involved and feel so helpless in those situations, that I don't event want to bring the feelings up.

And lastly, gotta love Barack, let's hope his presidency helps the black man instead of making white cops mad at us.

KB said...

This just happened to me yesterday...I definitely just had to file a claim with my credit card company after a cabbie played the dumb role and told me the card was declined. PISSED!