Tuesday, June 3, 2008

O-BA-MA!!!

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! Matter of fact, there's not a word to describe how I feel. I want to jump out of my skin. We did it. Yes, me, Barack, Michelle and all the other volunteers. We came together and we made a difference. Who's ready for November. I AM! YES, WE CAN!!!! WHEW!!!

Ok, here's an oldie, but goodie. (i.e. posted on fb before I had a blog).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey folks,

I went to the Chicago Rally last night for Obama and it was awesome. The crowd was so energetic and literally fired up. They had CNN on all night and you should have heard everyone screaming every time they showed and Obama state. I've never been so happy to see dark blue in my life.

They played the Will.I.Am Yes we can video and everyone was singing to it and we were chanting all night. YES WE CAN... SI, SE PUEDE... WE WANT CHANGE... O-BA-MA... FIRED UP... READY TO GO. Actually, the people in the crowd behind the podium were the hypest crowd. One guy was the cheerleader... When I say O, you say Bama O-BAMA O-BAMA. It was awesome.

Barack and Michelle came out around 10:30 and shook a few hands. Then they walked on the stage together, took a stroll around the stage and then she walked down. They look every bit like the first couple of the United States. He is so poised and she is so regal. It was amazing to see their chemistry in person.

So he gave his speech and, of course the rowdy crowd was even rowdier by the time he came out and when we got out of control he would either take the control back or let us chant for a while. The look on his face while he listened to us scream, WE WANT CHANGE or YES WE CAN was amazing. The look said I am so ready for this job and thank you for coming out, for believing in yourselves enough to help me make this happen. It said I am the future president of the United States and I will keep my promise of change. (Yes people, I saw that in a look).

I'm sure you can youtube the speech, but my favorite part was when he said (paraphrased). The media is adding up points and numbers and reporting on who's leading, when they should be reporting on who matters." I love his take on the media. It's obvious that he's jaded with business as usual - biased reporters, stupid questions and lack of substance in general. I can't wait to see how the media landscape changes when he's the president.

He also said that this presidency is not about him... it's about us. The people. That's been a consistent message throughout his campaign. He even mentioned that in Springfield, IL when he announced his candidacy. He said "We are the change we've been waiting for." It was a call to action (and a good one at that).

So after the speech, Michelle comes back out and they begin to go around the stage shaking hands. I'm thinking OMG are they going to come all the way around. They did. I shook hands with the Obamas! I was so star-struck, so overwhelmed... I started crying. I couldn't help it. Michelle just looked at me and said, don't cry, which, of course, made me cry more. The future president and first lady of the United States were literally within reach.

This change, this election, this presidency is so real I can feel it... and last night I reached out and touched it.

I'm so excited people. I'm fired up, ready to go and I'll be at the Chicago headquarters every week making sure I do my part as an American citizen to make sure everyone in the country (or at least everyone on my call list) knows who Barack Obama is and why he's the best choice for President.

3 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

Okay - if I keep reading Obama news/blogs today, it is highly unlikely that I will ever stop crying! I have been crying/tearing up almost nonstop since last night. I am so proud, excited, happy, overwhelmed. I went to the rally here in Jackson, and spent almost the whole time trying to regulate my heartbeat I was so excited.

Yes we can!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I am soooooooooooo proud and happy!!! I love the Obamas so much. I am just at a loss for words. This is such a milestone for us as a people. I just never thought that I'd live to see someone who looks like me, grew up where I did (Michelle) and get this close to becoming the president of the United States of America. This is a special day indeed!!

Pserendipity said...

Nice post! I know that the rally is the memory of a lifetime, too. And, as an added plus, since Michelle told you "don't cry", you can know say, "Oh, yeah, I talked to Michelle before, she gave me some good advice. That's my girl!" LOL

Love your blog, got here through Nerd Girl. Back tomorrow. Smooches!