Friday, June 6, 2008

Event Alert: My Black is Beautiful

Yes, I'm up at this time of the morning. I've been up for about two hours and still have an eight hour workday ahead of me once I actually get to the office in Chicago. I'm at the friggin' airport.

Anyway, no time is free time, so I'm blogging right now to make good use of my time.

On to the topic at hand.

My Black is Beautiful is a campaign by Procter & Gamble to 1) Inspire a dialogue among African Americans to define their own standard of beauty and 2) Affirm and celebrate the individual and collective beauty of African American women.

I first saw this campaign as a special advertising section in Essence. I usually skip those, but the artwork was so pretty and the taglines so catchy, that I just had to see what it was about. It intrigued me, made me feel good inside, made me want to pass it to someone's little sister or cousin.

What a wonderful wonderful set of objectives that has been put forth by one of the largest and highest grossing companies in the world. Of course, every company is always more focused on its bottom line than anything else, but how awesome to direct that focus in such a positive way. I have no problems buying products from a company that values my beauty, rather than tells me how to alter it to look like someone or something I will never look like.

Big ups to Procter and Gamble for getting it right.

Here's a list of My Black is Beautiful activities going on in the Chicagoland area this weekend and next weekend. Please get out and support this effort by Procter and Gamble and let them know that we expect and appreciate their focus. Maybe other large companies will follow suit.

Dates, Locations & Activities:

River Oaks Mall
Saturday June 7th
Macy’s Court
10 am – 8 pm

Hair analysis by Pantene Relaxed and Natural
Skin analysis by Olay
Makeup consultations by Cover Girl Queen Collection
Oral Health Screenings by Crest
Fashion Styling Competition by Tampax (clothing provided by Macy’s River Oaks)
Fashion Show, sponsored by Macy’s River Oaks)
WGCI live broadcast featuring Frankie!
Pick up tickets for the main event!


Navy Pier Festival Hall B
Saturday June 14th
11 am – 8pm

Pantene Hairmony Studio – Get basic salon services featuring Pantene products (wash, style, dry)
Olay Skin is In Studio – Mini facials, skin analysis
Cover Girl Makeup Studio – Full makeup applications
Massage area
Manicures by Cover Girl
Health screenings (diabetes, blood pressure, etc)
Always “Let it Flow” Poetry Lounge
K-Mart “Blue Light” Suite – a place to sit, hang out, chill
Panel discussions about tons of topics
Main panel discussion hosted by Tasha Smith (Why Did I Get Married)
Keynote speech by Susan L. Taylor
Fashion Show by K-Mart
Performances by Kindred, other artists TBD

3 comments:

Virtuous Blue said...

That's what's up. I agree, it's good to see a large corporation acknowlegding the importance of the Black female market. Although a small part of the "conspiracy theorist" in me is wondering what the hidden agenda is, i'll let it go and at least be grateful that we're getting some kind of love period. Sounds like they are putting on some good events, with some hot talent and valuable info. I'm not mad at that.

Thanks for the post!

Kenya
VB

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

That sounds like a great event. Too bad it won't be taking place when I go home in 2 weeks. :-(

I can't wait to go home. I haven't been there in 7 months (that's a record for me).

I will pass this info on to my friends and family there.

Enjoy your weekend!!

T said...

@ virtuous blue - anytime!

@ bgg - Have a fab weekend in NYC. I an dying to get out East, but the schedule is PACKED in the Chi.

P.S. from a couple of posts ago, yep, I have a new gig. But it's a second job, weekend job. I'm still at the old gig too... on a serious paper chase this summer. :)