Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cedric Benson

Let's talk about it.

I guess folks are running around throwing hissy fits because the Bears cut Cedric-3.5-yards-a-carry-Benson. THREE. POINT. FIVE. YARDS A CARRY.

Now I heard from my boy he was a beast in college, but what first round draft pick isn't a BEAST in college? You have to step your game up when you get to the NFL and this dude could not deliver. I mean has he EVER turned a third down into a first down? EVER? Seriously? Send me a clip if you can find it.

Also, I read in the paper that he had a bunch of injuries, etc. Now I don't remember this because who keeps up with rookie injuries? I'm sympathethic, I really am. But if my brain (the body part I use most at work) went dead, I'd have to stop working. If you're an athlete and the body parts YOU use most aren't working, you're going to lose your job as well. (Which is why athletes should at least try in school. A professional sports career is not guaranteed). It sucks and I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why folks are up in arms about this mess.

People are also mad that he didn't make a statement. Have you ever heard this dude talk? I met someone that went to college with him and said while he was a great athlete and very nice respectable fellow he's also dumb as a stack of bricks. As a PR professional, I think his publicist/lawyer/whomever is a genius for issuing a written statement rather than doing a press conference. It doesn't matter what you say, people are going to think what they want to think. Michael Vick gave one of the most heartfelt eloquent apologies I've ever heard and no one even attempted to forgive him.

Ok, taking a step back and being a Black woman as opposed to a fan, I can honestly say that I don't think he got a fair hand. It's POSSIBLE that he wasn't drunk, that he was profiled for being black and that if he was white this would not be such a big story.

Now, if I wasn't drunk I would take the breathalizer test. That's just what I would do. But apparently Cedric Benson must have some OTHER way of proving his innocence. I do think that everyone deserves a second chance though... Oh wait... this was his second chance.

The moral of the story today kids, is that if you're a running back who averages 3.5 yards a carry, your legal record needs to be squeaky clean. Period.

Now if Rex Grossman could just smuggle some drugs or something, maybe we could get this team back in order.

Last, but not least, I've been missing Thomas Jones since the DAY the Bears dumb azzes traded him, but I miss him more and more as the days go by. Come Home Thomas!!!

7 comments:

antithesis said...

as usual, a hilarious, good post. come on, somebody!!!

Reese Johnson said...

"Now if Rex Grossman could just smuggle some drugs or something, maybe we could get this team back in order. "

Im going to have to call Tmobile insurance, i just dropped my damn phone again

T said...

Reese,

I can't believe you even deal with Tmobile. I've heard horrible things about their coverage areas.

That's besides the point though. The point is, when you read my blog you KNOW you need to sit your phone on a stable surface. LOL!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I'm clearly out of the loop because I've never heard of Cedric Benson, Thomas Jones or Rex Grossman!! lol

T said...

@ bgg. WHAT!?!?! You gotta get back to your Chicago roots. This Bears season, if you read my blog, you'll be up to speed.

GO BEARS!

blk_sun said...

Funny, the man got your franchise to Superbowl XLI and everyone was praising Rex and was all on his sac. He as a bad season and suddenly he's chopped liver? Cut the man some slack, he'll be back on it soon enuff.

GOOOOO GATORS!!!!!!

T said...

@ blk_sun,

Nah, check my old facebook notes. I've NEVER liked Rex Grossman. No one in Chicago likes Rex Grossman, except Lovie Smith and he's not even from here.

And be for real, the Bears defense got us to the Superbowl and the offensive line that year got us to the Superbowl. Rex didn't do jack squat. He's weak, inaccurate and horribly inconsistent. He maybe threw two long passes that someone ACTUALLY caught that entire season.

Anyone can do an underhanded throw to a running back, he gets no credit from me for THAT.