Thursday, May 15, 2008

Busiest Person in the World

This was #8 on today's Tangents, but it got out of hand. Deserved it's own post.

8. On that same note, am I the only one with a busy schedule?

I oftentimes find myself at a place that was inconvenient for me to get to/go to in the first place with them asking me if I could come back. I woke up at 6 a.m. this morning to walk to go get my clothes out of the cleaners and these fools, like usual, didn't crease my jeans. So I say something about it and they're like can you leave them here and come back. No! I don't have time to come back. By the time I leave from work tonight, you'll be closed. Friday morning I have a dentist appointment at 7:30 a.m., then I have to leave the office at 2:30 p.m. for a flight, then I won't be back to Chicago late Saturday and you're closed on Sunday. Monday, I will NOT be getting off work on time, so I'll have to get up at the butt crack of dawn again for a crease? No, no sir, I cannot come back, which is why I wish you would've gotten it right the first time. How many times do I have to say, put a crease in my jeans? What's the point of taking them to the cleaners, if they're not creased? I didn't say this to him, I decided it's not really worth it to waste my breath when I'm preturbed. I just rolled my eyes and left.

The same thing happened at the optometrist yesterday. It's in the loop, I don't work over there and in order to go over there I have to waste my entire lunch break (which I don't usually take anyway) to go there. (Meaning if I leave the office for an hour, I'm more than likely going to be there for another hour after closing time to get all my work done). Anywho, I brought some non-working contacts back and made a trade with her. (Mind you, I originally ordered these bad boys in December.) Then I forgot to bring ALL the boxes to give back, I only brought back three and she wants to know when I can come back to bring the others. I know I made a mistake, but I DON'T KNOW when I can come back. I do not have free hours during 9 am to 5pm to do stuff. I HAVE A JOB!

I got off on a bogus tangent, but the point is I must either be the busiest person in the world or other people just don't have anything else to do. The dentist office, the optometrist, the cleaners, the mall, the grocery store. Everywhere I go and ask for something, these fools don't have it (or have it, but did it wrong) and want to know if I can come back at another time so they can correct their problem. No. I carved time out of my schedule to be here right now. I'm not about to be coming in here checking your inventory every damn day. I'm not coming back, so you're either going to have to find what I'm looking for or do what I asked or just tell me no.

6 comments:

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I can totally relate!! Some just don't value other people's time, which is so annoying!

Lyle said...

Am I the only person that doesn't like to have a crease in their jeans?

Que.P said...

You are SO not the only person with this problem. There's nothing I hate more than blatant disrespect of my time, which often happens to me at work. For the most part, I work an 11-7 or 12-8 shift at work on Tues and Wednesday. But my supervisor has, on numerous occasions, scheduled a 10am meeting and has cancelled it less than an hr before the meeting, by which time I have already rearranged my morning schedule. Then she wonders why I give her that blank stare when she apologizes. No, I don't accept your apology. What I WILL accept is my time back, but wait, the time is already spent right? Thanks for wasting my time.

ThummyB said...

#1 Kudos to your for getting your jeans dry-cleaned. I really only take in stuff that absolutely HAS to be dry-cleaned. (sidenote - I need to add 'Taking clothes to the dry cleaners once a month' to my self-improvement projects list.)

Anyway, here is my thinking on ppl who provide bad service...I tell you the problem the 1st time and give you a 2nd chance. If the problem persists, then I make you aware of the problem for a 2nd time and inform you that I will no longer be patronizing your business.

I always think that the best way to hit any vendor is in the pocket, so if I can get serviced elsewhere, then I try to switch vendors.

T said...

Here's the thing about the jeans and the cleaners. Their service is SO cheap, the cheapest, in fact (CD One Price $1.99 per item). Not only do I pass 8-10 cleaners on the way to this cleaners, but I also continually go back there even when they mess up, because I'm still saving like 50-75%.

Like my mom always says, you get what you pay for.

@ thummyb, you KNOW not patronizing folks is one of my specialties: Blockbuster, Lady Foot Locker, Plush in the west loop, Applebees in River Oaks, Honey Child in River North. I didn't give any of these companies a second chance.

But this super cheap cleaners has me hooked. :P

blk_sun said...

@ T, you get what you pay for.