Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Addicted

I'm addicted to my computer. Maybe it's because, unlike radio, TV or even a motion picture film, I schedule MY computer activities as opposed to planning around an already pre-determined schedule. I can read what I want when I want and write ANYthing I want ANYtime I want. I heard (and believe) in the new millenium humans need more stimulation than ever before to be content, but how stimulating can blogging and social networking really be? I'm asking myself. I'm trying to really figure this thing out.

Last night I got home from work at like 8:15 p.m. and I decided I hadn't been home before 9 p.m. in a long time, so I was going to clean house. The kitchen was set because there's NO food in the house and I hadn't been home for 10 days, so how could I possibly have dirty dishes. The living area/bedroom, hallway and bathroom were another story. I had unpacked luggage from 3 trips all over the damn place and it was bothering me. So I unpacked...

I realized I needed to do laundry, but figured I'd just have to buy socks or other underwear, cause my energy was NOT going to allow me to do the "up and down the stairs, wait for the extra slow elevator" routine just for the sake of doing laundry.

So then, I tried to put my new luggage away and remember that I wanted to sell my old, broken luggage on Ebay. My computer was already on. Itunes shuffle was blasting some Erykah Badu, John Legend, Eric Roberson, Outkast mix in the background. Then I SAT DOWN at the computer and the night was over from there. I posted my stuff on Ebay, then I blogged a bit, checked facebook a bit. (The Operation Desert Storm photos, tags and comments just keep rollin' in and I love it.)

Then I was like well, I'm here, I might as well check myspace. I was on myspace for like at least 30 minutes. Y'all KNOW there's nothing to do on myspace for 30 minutes. I think I spent most of the time on my own page dancing to I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T. I looked up and it was 11 p.m. My living room was spotless, but the bed area (it's a studio, be imaginative) was still a wreck and the hallway and bathroom needed tending to.

I was so exhausted at 11 p.m. and disgusted that I'd wasted that much time, so I just went to bed. Here's a list of the other things that were on my to-do list that I did not do: go to the gym, balace my checkbook, buy groceries on peapod, wash clothes, journal, pray, read (I've been working on Audacity of Hope for way too long now).

I guess if one wants to have a relaxing evening she should:
A) Get home way before 8:15 p.m.
B) Have a shorter to-do list
C) Keep the computer off

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say, but I'm definitely addicted to my computer.

2 comments:

antithesis said...

i'm an internet addict, too. do you remember that random commercial that had the guy on the computer and the screen said he had reached the "end" of the internet? yea, well that's me. i think deep down you just didnt want to do those things on you to-do list. b/c who really does spend 30 min on myspace?

ThummyB said...

The sad thing is I actually feel like you got a lot accomplished by getting the living room clean. Here is my night...

- Leave work around 6:30
- Arrive home around 7:30
- Grab something to eat 7:30 - 8:00
- Then I 'intend' to either do laundry, do some more work or otherwise clean around the house.
- However, I also feel tired and very comfortable on the couch...so I usually chill there until about 9.
- At 9:00 free night time minutes start, so I usually chat with the guy.
- 10:00 its time to shower and get ready for bed...nothing accomplished at all.

Now if you really want to see me get lost in the computer, then you should checkout my attempts to work in the weekend. Ha! Truly laughable.