Friday, April 18, 2008

So that's what's up in the Chi?

So... I went out last night. It was a work outing and upon arrival I got a public service announcement from a friend that top shelf liquor was included in our package.

Kewl! I'm looking at the waitress like make whatever you want with Ketel One and keep 'em coming. :)

So it was a great time, I get home, try to shake the drunk off me (with some internet surfing and a cheese omelette) and go to bed.

I woke up in the middle of the night EXTRA thirsty, so I grab a glass of water and attempt to go back to bed. However, someone in my building is playing music SO frickin' loud that I can make out the words of the song (and it wasn't a song I knew). I didn't live in this neighborhood last summer, so I was thinking it this really what goes on in this neighborhood on a Thursday night when it's 50 degrees outside in the Chi? I mean, there aren't any bars under my building or anything, so I just could NOT understand why it was so darn loud.

Then I hear a girl scream "Turn your music down." (Think Coming to America with Akeem was singing "To be loved" in the streets and people were screaming "shut-up." It was just like that.)

I look at the clock. It was 4:41 a.m.

Whatever. I'm determined to get the rest of my sleep, so I put the blanket over my head and then I felt like my bed was shaking. I was thinking the party could NOT be literally jumping to the point that my bed is shaking. Then I was like well maybe someone next door is getting a little morning nookie. Then I think no... that couldn't be it because my WALL isn't knocking... my BED is shaking.

So then I get out of the bed with the quickness, turn the light on and grab a knife. I was thinking someone must be in my house. So I'm crawling on my floor like I'm in marines boot camp trying to see who's under my bed. I check my bathroom and closet and find no one.

So then I'm thinking man, I really need to stop drinking...

About 20 minutes later, I hear the police knock on the rude neighbor's door and the music immediately ceased. Finally... I could get some rest.

So sweet dreams for me and then alarm clock comes on to WGCI at 6:30 this morning and the local news segment is on. The newscaster is like "At about 4:45 a.m. you could feel the earthquake in Chicago."

An earthquake? In MY hometown?

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

That's the best news EVER though, now I don't have to stop drinking. :)

2 comments:

antithesis said...

LMAO!!!! you are insane!!!! an earthquake tho? dang!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I couldn't believe the news about an earthquake in my hometown - CHICAGO!! When my mom told me, I was like, "you're kidding!!" I quickly went to the Sun-Times and found out that it was in fact true!!

I remember feeling a slight tremor back when I was like 7 or 8 in the 1980s.